September 14, 2024 | Latest Issue
James M> Hunnicutt
The Setonian
News

College decides to keep Ed. Dept.

The beleaguered education department will remain a part of the College for at least three more years, as a result of the efforts of new Education Chair Andrew Garrod and Dean of the Social Sciences George Wolford.

The Setonian
News

Ed. department decision delayed

The final decision regarding the future of Dartmouth's embattled education department has been delayed until later this week. Originally scheduled to be resolved by last Friday, the negotiations still need to sort out a few last- minute details and should be complete by Wednesday, Dean of Social Sciences George Wolford said Friday. He said there had been a "tiny glitch" but "things are on a fairly good course and there are no problems." For the past couple of weeks, Wolford has been negotiating with Education Chair Andrew Garrod about what will happen to the department. Over the past several years the education department has periodically come under fierce criticism -- most recently last March when the Council of Social Sciences recommended eliminating the department. Last week, both Garrod and Wolford said the department will most likely not be abolished, but will probably be changed. "Students will be relieved, but not ecstatic, if things go as planned," Wolford previously told The Dartmouth. Last March, the council recommended the department's abolition but did not fully divulge the reasons behind the proposal. Some members of the council -- composed of the eight chairs of the social sciences departments -- cited administrative problems, interpersonal conflicts, the department's low production of scholarly work and its pre-professional slant as reasons for their recommendations. In response, many students rallied behind the besieged department.

The Setonian
News

Administrators working to preserve ed. department

The controversy surrounding the future of the education department should be resolved by the end of this week, and administrators are working toward a solution that would preserve the department. Over the past several years, the education department has periodically come under fierce criticism--most recently last March when the Council of Social Sciences recommended eliminating the department. But due to student resistance and efforts to improve the department made by its members and new chair, it appears the education department will probably survive, although it may be altered Dean of the Social Sciences George Wolford said. Wolford said he and Education Department Chair Andrew Garrod have been negotiating what changes, if any, the department will undergo.

The Setonian
News

Doctor says less can be more

Dr. Gil Welsh, who teaches a course at Dartmouth Medical School, said doctors should treat fewer low-risk people than currently treated in a lecture Monday evening. Nearly one dozen students, many of them planning to be doctors, attended the lecture, which was held at the Zimmerman Lounge in Blunt Alumni Center. Welch, a general internist by training, teaches a course at DMS on managed health care and practice patterns. In 1993 he published an article in the New England Journal of Medicine titled "Advances in Diagnostic Imaging and Overestimation of Disease Prevalence and the Benefits of Therapy," which he repeatedly cited during the lecture. Focusing mainly on heart illnesses, Welch talked about common measures of disease prevention, especially early testing. Welch began by explaining the different "risk groups," susceptible to a given disease and to what degree the medical community should focus on each group. Using heart disease as an example, Welch said the group of people with the highest risk of developing heart disease usually receives the most medical attention. He also asserted people with moderate amounts of risk deserve significant attention, because this moderate-risk group includes the greatest number of members. "Will it cost more?

The Setonian
News

Construction will block Collis walkway

Starting today, construction crews will be ripping apart the pavement between the Collis Center, Robinson Hall and Thayer Dining Hall, making most of the area inaccessible during normal working hours. Director of Facilities Planning Gordon DeWitt said the work will probably be completed by early October.

The Setonian
News

Maria Laskaris named director of admissions

A new director of admissions was named on July 1, when Maria Laskaris '84 was promoted from senior associate dean of admissions. The admissions office has gone without an actual director for the last five years, Laskaris said. Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Karl Furstenberg said, "The position is filled from time to time to recognize an outstanding member of the staff." Furstenburg said Laskaris was promoted because "she's exceedingly capable ... This is just recognition." Laskaris said she was thrilled to have been chosen for the job. "It's great," Laskaris said.

More articles »