October 2, 2024 | Latest Issue

The Person Behind the Water Bottle

One writer explores the relationship that students have with their water bottles.

10-2-24-seanhughes-waterbottles.jpg

Many students communicate their identity through the posters they hang on their walls, or the photos they post on their social media accounts. But, one of the most common modes of expression is also one that is all-too-often overlooked: our water bottles. 

A water bottle can be as carefully curated as an outfit and more deeply integrated with self-expression than we might realize. Sariah Thomas ’28 said she believes water bottles are important identifiers because they are able to express individuality without conversation. When she enters a room, Thomas will “look at [other] people’s water bottles to kind of see where they’re from or the places they’ve been.”

According to Thomas, owning a water bottle also allows her to more easily express herself, as she is able to “come into a room and communicate something” about her identity without a word. 

Part wellness and all aesthetic appeal, many students feel like a crucial part of their identity is missing if they are without their water bottles. Some students have emotional attachments to them. Lucy Cano-Bartolo ’28 described her water bottle as being a “comfort” that she brings with her “everywhere.”

Another common method of self-expression on water bottles is the use of stickers. Cano-Bartolo added that her current bottle is irreplaceable because of the stickers she has added to it over the years. Several of Cano-Bartolo’s stickers remind her of loved ones which allows her to transport small pieces of them with her wherever she goes, she said. In particular, Cano-Bartolo pointed out several animal stickers — including a raccoon, penguin and a bear — each of which symbolize a different member of her family. 

Thomas expressed a similar affinity for sentimental stickers. One of her bottles is even inspired by a close friend — most of the stickers on the bottle are gathered from fond memories with him. She highlighted a Pennsylvania-themed sticker that she purchased because her friend attends school in-state. 

“A lot of people have stickers on their water bottles, but I like to think mine are more intentional,” Thomas said. “I could tell a story about every [sticker] that I have on [my water bottles].”

More than a vessel of self-expression, water bottles can also have the power to connect. Ryan Ng ’28 explained that members of his high school swim team gave him his current water bottle as a senior gift after noticing that he “never had a…[re]usable water bottle.” Ng added that his outfit directly mirrored the colors of the bottle when it was gifted, which he believes reflects just how well his peers knew him. 

Other water bottles derive their value in functionality. Brand and design can also speak to individual preferences, such as color scheme and added features — like a straw or handle. What brand of water bottle do you see most commonly used? Is it the acclaimed Hydro Flask? The newly-famous Owala? The alluring Stanley?

Ng said he appreciates the unique features of his Owala, which suits his needs more than other brands. The bottle’s form is “special because it comes with a straw” that is built into its spout and a wider opening that allows users to chug water when tilted, he explained. 

Dominique Quinonez ’28, on the other hand, described her relationship to her water bottles as “non-committal.” Over the past couple of months, Quinonez said she has lost five water bottles — at minimum. 

“I think my relationship with water bottles is the same as my relationship with my hair … I cut it, I shave it, I dye it, whatever,” Quinonez said. “I will never buy a water bottle [for] more than $10, because if I lose it, I don’t wanna feel that sad about it.” 

Some students may see their water bottles as just a mode of hydration, but for others, they’ve evolved past simple functionality to become canvases of expression integral to their life. What greater comfort could an object be other than holding bits and pieces of our loved ones — in addition to places we have traveled — and niche interests we hold? And more importantly, how wonderful is it that those pieces of our personality are directly communicated to anyone through our water bottles? 

So, the next time you spot a decked-out Nalgene, maybe take a second to look at it — and the person behind the bottle.