October 25, 2024 | Latest Issue

Q&A with outgoing Provost David Kotz ’86

The Dartmouth sat down with Kotz, who is leaving from his role in June and returning to the computer science department.

2022-10-21-111254-X4-1.jpg
Provost David Kotz, Dartmouth College. Photo by Kurt Wehde, October 2022.

Provost David Kotz ’86 first arrived in Hanover as an undergraduate more than 40 years ago and has barely left since. After graduating from the College in 1986 with a degree in computer science and physics, Kotz earned his Ph.D at Duke in 1991 and returned to the College to teach later that year. He has risen through academia and administration in the decades since. In July 2021, former College President Phil Hanlon appointed Kotz interim provost, a post that became permanent in January 2022. His role makes him Dartmouth’s chief academic and budget officer. During his time as Provost, Kotz has continued to advise graduate students, serving as the Pat and John Rosenwald Professor of Computer Science. Kotz announced that he will conclude his tenure as provost this June after almost three years in office, returning full-time to the computer science department following a year-long sabbatical. The Dartmouth sat down with Kotz to discuss his life and career at the College. 

You have experienced Dartmouth as a student, alumnus, parent and administrator. How do you think these varied perspectives have impacted your view of the College?

DK: Experiencing Dartmouth in so many different ways has given me the opportunity to understand the College more broadly and more deeply than any one of those roles individually might have. For me, the exciting part is the opportunity to give back to Dartmouth in so many different ways.

What motivated you to join Dartmouth’s administration? 

DK: I was coming back from a sabbatical in 2009, and the dean of faculty asked me to join the faculty office as associate dean of faculty. I was interested in having the opportunity to think about the business of the faculty in a more holistic way and help shape the faculty of the future, as well as support my faculty colleagues.

What were your proudest moments during your term as Provost?

DK: One of the cool things about the job is that you’re involved in pretty much everything. The work on A Commitment to Care — the strategic plan for student mental health and wellness — was one of my most meaningful activities. I’m very proud of where we ended up with that, and I’m looking forward to helping continue to implement that plan.

What challenges did you face as Provost?

DK: One of the most difficult challenges was the COVID-19 pandemic. I started my term as provost in July of 2021 when things were starting to look better for the pandemic, and then the Delta wave and the Omicron wave came over the world. We had many challenges that year. That was very difficult because we had to balance so many different interests: the students’ interests, the faculty’s interests and the operational needs at the school. Of course, everyone had a different opinion. 

Is there anything you regret from your tenure as Provost?

DK: It’s not about the job — it’s really about the things that I wasn’t able to do. I really miss teaching. I had an opportunity to teach in the spring of 2021, but it was all on Zoom. I would like to get back in the classroom. I’m very fortunate to continue working with my Ph.D students and other research students, and I’m glad that I’ve retained that. But what I regret most is not having enough time to spend with students.

What motivated you to end your tenure as provost?

DK: I came in December of 2021 as interim provost when former Provost Joe Helby was leaving. President Hanlon felt he would prefer to have me stay on as the permanent provost. At the time, President Hanlon was announcing the end of his term, so I said I would stay on for another year into the new presidency to allow the new College President to choose their own Provost. Then College President Sian Leah Beilock and I decided that it would be helpful for me to stay a second year into her presidency. We made that choice last spring, so now we’re starting the search for the next Provost.

What advice would you give to the incoming Provost?

DK: Get to know Dartmouth in as many corners as possible. Even after 33 years on the faculty and four years as a student, there are still aspects of Dartmouth that I don’t fully know and understand. Anyone coming in will have a lack of awareness of some aspects, so the new Provost will need to get to know students from different schools, faculty from different schools and various administrative units. 

You plan to take a sabbatical next year before returning to Dartmouth as a professor. What are your hopes for your future at Dartmouth?

DK: I look forward to going back to the classroom as a computer science professor. One of the things I’m hoping to do on my sabbatical is to learn more about how to integrate artificial intelligence into my teaching. I’ll teach probably in the fall of 2026 or spring of 2027, and artificial intelligence will have changed the world in that time — at least in teaching computer science. I’m also looking forward to having more time to focus on research.

This interview has been edited for clarity and length.