September 15, 2024 | Latest Issue

Textbook Solutions: Navigating the Book-Buying Process at Dartmouth

With no official Dartmouth bookstore, students find alternative ways to get their course textbooks.

textbooks 24f graphic.png

This article is featured in the 2024 Freshman special issue.

It’s the first day of class, and the professor hands you the syllabus — “Required Textbooks” sits menacingly atop the page. Since Dartmouth has no official bookstore on campus, it's not always easy figuring out how to secure the necessary readings — especially since Hanover is a small town in a rural area. After speaking with three other students, I have gathered some of the most recommended ways to get required class textbooks — taking speed, price and convenience into consideration. In the end, though, each class you take will function distinctly, and different situations will require different solutions.

My friends at other, more urban universities have recommended I order my books through Amazon or other online bookstores. However, in my experience, it often takes about five to six days for packages to arrive in Hanover, even with Prime shipping. That might not be ideal if you have to start reading immediately for a 10-week class. As a result, I believe ordering from Amazon is a below-average option for obtaining physical copies, which are good for annotating and sticky-noting important passages.

If you would like a handheld textbook copy — and would like one in a timely manner — while also supporting a local small business, instead try your hand at Still North Books & Bar. Located conveniently on Allen Street, Still North allows you to peruse its in-person inventory or order books not in stock for in-store pick-up. This process usually takes a few business days.

Because Still North also contains a café, Maggie de la Fuente ’27 recommends sourcing textbooks from the store for an added perk — grabbing a drink along the way.

“It’s fun to go grab your textbooks and get a coffee while you’re there,” she said. “It’s just a good way to break up your day.”

In my experience, Still North provides a nice blend of the prices and speed of an online bookstore and the charm of a local café.

Now, if you’re more like me and don’t mind using an electronic reading, then there are much more accessible options online. Pearson+, which I used to find my MATH 24, “Linear Algebra” textbook, has access to more than 2,000 editions across various subjects. However, in order to access its vast materials, Pearson+ requires a paid subscription of $10.99 a month. To save on subscription fees, I signed up for a free trial and canceled after I finished the class. E-textbooks are also convenient given their access to certain digital tools, such as e-highlighting and making notes or flashcards directly “on” the book.

Alternatively, you can also find free PDF versions of textbooks online. Many universities publish their textbooks online for free use, meaning all you have to do is search the title online to find a copy. Eli Moyse ’27 said he recommends this method.  

“I normally get my textbooks by downloading them via a torrent site to anonymize my browsing and ensure safe downloads,” he said.

While peer-to-peer file-sharing systems are not illegal — and not banned on Dartmouth’s campus — torrent sites are frequently used to download pirated materials. In doing so, students may violate both College policy and copyright law. If you seek to find textbook copies online, please ensure you are downloading safe and legal files — more information about copyright law and Dartmouth’s policy can be found on the “Dartmouth Copyright Policy & Guidelines” webpage.

Sometimes, though, using an online version doesn’t cut it. Certain classes require you to purchase a textbook, as some books have scannable QR codes that provide access to a personal account with homework assignments and other online content necessary to complete the course. This was the case for Avery Stern ’27 and Will Nelson ’27, who both had to purchase their textbooks directly from the publisher for Italian courses. Stern explained that so far in her time at Dartmouth, she has only had to purchase textbooks for Italian 11, “Accelerated Italian.”

Nelson added that he had to buy textbooks for Italian 1, 2 and 3, “Introductory Italian” in order to complete his assignments and participate in class. Certain sections within his textbook contained QR codes that allowed him to view and complete his homework online.

“[The textbooks] have a code we need for the homework site,” he said.

In total, the textbooks for his class cost around $30 per quarter, Nelson said.

At the end of the day, getting the right textbook is a matter of balancing what’s best for you given the requirements for your class. Studying at a college with no designated bookstore has its downfalls, but with a little creativity, students have few problems finding textbook solutions that work for them.

Update Appended (Sept. 4, 11:37 a.m.): The article has been updated with information about copyright law and safe downloads.