September 23, 2024 | Latest Issue

Review: ‘Short n’ Sweet’ is a bold mix of wit, vulnerability and playful sass

Sabrina Carpenter’s latest album “Short n’ Sweet” reflects her personal and artistic growth through clever lyricism and musicality.

IMG_1287.png

Sabrina Carpenter is back with her sixth studio album, “Short n’ Sweet,”  released on Aug. 23 by Island Records. The album keeps things interesting with a delightful mix of pop, country, rock, disco and R&B, and if you’re not careful, it might just catch you off guard with its sharp sarcasm and acidic humor.

At 25 years old, Carpenter is no stranger to the entertainment industry, having spent her teenage years acting on the show “Girl Meets World” and releasing her first four albums under Disney’s label. After shedding her Disney Channel image, Carpenter released her first “grown-up” album, “Emails I Can’t Send,” in 2022. The album touched on deeply personal subjects such as breakups, parental infidelity and the aftermath of a highly publicized love triangle. With “Short n’ Sweet,” Carpenter takes a lighter approach. The title, a playful nod to both the 36-minute run time and Carpenter’s petite frame, reflects the album’s breezy nature. 

Carpenter’s two singles for the album — “Espresso” and “Please Please Please” both hit number one on the Billboard Global 200 chart and catapulted her to new levels of commercial success. “Espresso” earned Carpenter her first number one spot on the United Kingdom Singles Chart, while “Please Please Please” was the first of her songs to top the United States Billboard Hot 100. While Carpenter had already carved out a solid solo career, “Short n’ Sweet” marks the moment her career really took off. Reaching audiences far beyond her Disney roots, this album represents her breakthrough into mainstream global stardom, with a mix of humor, emotional depth and a more mature sound.

In “Short n’ Sweet,” Carpenter touches topics that range from self-love and maintaining boundaries to tender declarations of love and cheeky call-outs. In the third track, “Good Graces,” she confidently lays down the rules in a relationship, reminding her partner that — though she can be sweet and loving — she won’t tolerate disrespect or shady behavior. With lines like, “Don’t mistake my nice for naive,” Carpenter makes it clear that staying in her “good graces” is a must. On the softer side, “Bed Chem” appears to offer a sweet declaration of love to her boyfriend, actor Barry Keoghan, while in “Coincidence,” she cheekily calls out an ex-lover who played games in the relationship. These narratives showcase her versatility in storytelling and add layers to the album, mixing humor, wit and genuine emotion.

Three of the album’s 12 tracks were accompanied by music videos, which are filled with humor and a touch of 1960s glam. In the music video for “Espresso,” Carpenter playfully embraces the carefree spirit of summer — and, more importantly, her true self — by blending a bright palette of colors, choreography and clever storytelling. The video’s playful plot showcases her sense of humor, turning a wild and chaotic scenario — involving male jettison and cheeky credit card theft — into an entertaining narrative with a summer beat. The video for “Please Please Please,” which starts with Carpenter escaping from jail and living the “outlaw romance” trope, explores the complexities of loving someone who doesn’t always make the best decisions. It also emphasizes Carpenter’s desire to protect both her relationship and her pride. “Taste” playfully jabs at her ex-boyfriend’s new lover, with Carpenter cheekily stating that the new girl will have to “taste” her when kissing her partner. In the video, Carpenter and the other girl are locked in a constant chase, trying to sabotage each other at every turn. Carpenter’s blend of humor, nostalgia and sharp lyricism makes the visuals of her music videos just as captivating as the music itself.

Accountability is a key theme running through “Short n’ Sweet.” In an interview for Apple Music, Carpenter revealed that the album allows her to “call out” both herself and others. It’s an album that doesn’t shy away from mistakes made in the heat of the moment — and, in many ways, it celebrates them. As a spectator who has followed the development of Carpenter’s career, this self-aware honesty feels refreshing, especially coming from an artist who grew up in the spotlight. Having been in the industry from such a young age, Carpenter missed out on quintessential milestones like prom or carefree summer trips with friends. But now, at 25, Carpenter reminds herself and us that she’s still here to feel everything — the good, the bad and the messy. According to Carpenter, she no longer wants to live in fear of disappointing someone. 

Short n’ Sweet” is, ultimately, Carpenter unapologetically owning her space, flaws and all. The album draws listeners in with its witty comebacks, heartfelt reflections and moments of playful rebellion. Carpenter manages to walk the line between vulnerability and strength, delivering a collection that feels deeply personal yet universally relatable. With “Short n’ Sweet,” she’s finally receiving the recognition she’s always deserved — showing that her talent, humor and bold storytelling have earned her a rightful place in the spotlight.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★