September 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Q&A with Brad Ausmus ’91

Yankees bench coach Brad Ausmus ’91 discussed his time at Dartmouth, his Major League career and making Dartmouth history with the Yankees.

imagejpeg_0.HEIC

In the bullpen at Dartmouth. Brad Ausmus '91 is second from the left.

This article is featured in the 2024 Freshman special issue.

Brad Ausmus ’91 had a difficult choice to make as a recent high school graduate: he could play professional baseball or attend college. Instead of choosing one or the other, however, Ausmus decided to do both. During his time at Dartmouth, Ausmus was a full-time student in the fall and winter, during which he studied government and volunteered for the Dartmouth baseball program. When spring rolled around, Ausmus put his books down to play professional minor league baseball. Ausmus made his major league debut in 1993 and went on to play 18 seasons in the big leagues with the Padres, Houston Astros, Detroit Tigers and Los Angeles Dodgers, before announcing his retirement in 2010. Since then, he has been a Padres field executive, the Oakland Athletics bench coach and a manager for the Tigers and the Los Angeles Angels. He is currently with the New York Yankees as their bench coach for the 2024 season. The Dartmouth sat down with Ausmus to discuss his time at Dartmouth, his career trajectory and making Dartmouth history with the Yankees. 

How did you decide to play in the minors and attend Dartmouth at the same time?

BA: It was actually a very tough decision. The draft itself was in June, and I didn’t actually decide to sign with the Yankees until the very end of August. That was about three weeks or so before I would go to Dartmouth to begin my freshman year. I agonized over it because when the Yankees first drafted me, I said no to the contract and said I was going to go to Dartmouth, get my education and play baseball there. Then they came back to me with a better offer at the end of August. I thought about it for about 24 hours and decided to give it a shot. So, about three weeks before I went to Dartmouth, I switched and signed a professional contract for the Yankees.

What was it like managing school work, participating in Dartmouth baseball and playing for a minor league team?

BA: As far as playing professionally and going to school, it worked out great. I would go to school in the fall and winter for the most part, and I’d take an extra class most quarters on campus. Then I’d leave, go to spring training and play in the minor leagues. I went back and forth doing that for about five years. But it worked well because the timing worked well. The winter semester was ending right when spring training was starting, and the minor league season was ending right when fall semester was starting. I had my baseball friends, I had my school friends and I just bounced back and forth. It kept me busy for sure. 

What did you like most about the Dartmouth baseball program?

BA: All the friends that I made there. My freshman year, I was the bullpen catcher because that was the only year I was actually on campus in the spring. So any home games, I’d be in the bullpen with the players, with the pitchers. When they went on the road, I stayed on campus. I’m still friends with all those guys. 

When did you graduate college?

BA: I got my degree in June of 1993. That’s when I physically got the degree and graduated. I made my Major League debut in July of 1993, about a month later. I never walked. I never got a chance because I was playing at the time. So I received my degree in the mail. Coincidentally, my daughter went to Dartmouth. Although she walked later, she missed out on the real walk as well because of COVID-19.

You played for four different teams in the Majors. Did you have a favorite? What was your favorite moment playing in the Major League?

BA: There are moments with each team. The San Diego Padres — that’s where I made my Major League debut. The Detroit Tigers, I was an All-Star. With the Los Angeles Dodgers, we had a playoff team and I made good friends from that group. But when I look back on my playing career, I probably picture myself as a Houston Astro more than anything else because I played there for 10 years.

Looking back at the draft, you were selected 1,151st and had so many players ahead of you. However, you played for many more years than most of them. Do you ever look back and say, ‘Wow, I did that’?

BA: I guess there’s a sense of pride to it. At the time, I was just playing as long as they would let me play or until I decided I no longer should be playing. That’s exactly what happened. I decided it was time to hang them up.

Once your player career was over, what made you want to go into coaching?

BA: I think it was just a natural progression. I took a few years where I kept one foot in the door, one foot out, so I could enjoy some family time, vacations and summers without playing baseball because I had done that for a long time. I enjoy coaching, I enjoy the strategy of the game and I enjoy being around the players, the people and the clubhouse.

June 18 of this season was a significant moment. Not only was Ben Rice ’22 called up to the Majors, but you also got to manage the Yankees in place of Aaron Boone. How did you find out that you would be managing the same day that Rice was called up?

BA: I’ve known Ben Rice for a while now. I obviously knew that he was at Dartmouth. One of his travel ball coaches is a very good friend of mine. I went and watched him play in the Cape Cod League. I think it was neat that when it all came together — I happened to be subbing in for Boone. Obviously, I knew he was getting called up before that, and I was excited for him. I remember my first time at the Major League level. I remember getting the first hit and being in a Major League stadium and certainly, Yankee Stadium is a museum. He’s held his own. He’s done well. He had three home runs in a game, and I expect him to continue to do well.

Do you believe you have a special connection with Rice because you were both catchers who attended Dartmouth and were drafted by the Yankees?

BA: There’s definitely that connection. We’ll make a little joke back and forth. It’s not like we have a handshake or anything, but it certainly comes up.

With the National League East title up for grabs between the Yankees and Baltimore Orioles, what are you planning on doing to help the team secure the title?

BA: A lot of it is just making sure we’re prepared every single game and every single series. You try to prepare yourself and the players, and you try to keep a positive attitude even when things go south. There’s a lot of failure in baseball. You can’t really have a rear view mirror. You got to keep looking forward and try to improve and try to be better the next day. There’s not much more you could do than staying positive, preparing and making changes when needed.

What do you miss most about Dartmouth?

BA: Hanging with my friends. The education is great — I wouldn’t trade it for the world. But it’s the friends you make that are the most important.

This article has been edited for clarity and length.