September 20, 2024 | Latest Issue

Thayer dean to leave College this fall

Thayer School of Engineering Dean Alexis Abramson will be heading up the Columbia Climate School, while associate dean for undergraduate education Douglas Van Citters takes over in the interim.

9-19-24_AlesandraGonzales_Thayer.jpg

Thayer School of Engineering Dean Alexis Abramson will leave the College at the end of the fall term to become the inaugural Dean of the Columbia Climate School. Associate dean for undergraduate education Douglas Van Citters will serve as interim dean for up to 18 months beginning in winter term. 

The Provost’s Office is committed to finding a permanent replacement candidate by July 1, Van Citters said. 

In her five years as dean of Thayer, Abramson implemented a “comprehensive” plan for the engineering school that included expanding the faculty and starting an online Master of Engineering program, according to Van Citters. Her tenure also saw the return of gender parity in graduating classes and a new emphasis on human-centered design, he said.

“She commissioned a strategic plan for the engineering school that was very inclusive and quite comprehensive, and we’ve been following that since,” Van Citters said. “She started the design initiative at Dartmouth [to] help commission our emphasis on human-centered design across the curriculum, and she was the dean who helped us move into our new home in the [Engineering and Computer Sciences Center]. She’s had a really good run.”

Van Citters said he worked on the strategic plan with Abramson and his “number one” objective is to continue executing that plan. 

“Thayer was at an exciting point of growth when I joined Dartmouth five years ago, and I am really proud of the progress we have made since to expand our capacity for research,” Abramson said. “I know I will continue to be inspired by Thayer’s students, faculty and staff — not just through the end of my tenure here, but for long after.

In an Aug. 19 email to campus, College President Sian Leah Beilock wrote that Abramson’s commitment to Thayer has been “unwavering.”  

“[Abramson] introduced new programs and expanded existing initiatives, revamping Thayer’s Master of Engineering program, launching new online certificate programs in applied data science and digital transformation and increasing entrepreneurship and innovation opportunities,” Beilock wrote.

According to an Aug. 19 announcement by Columbia University’s Office of the President, Abramson was selected for the new role based on her expertise in sustainable energy technology and experience in academic administration.

While Van Citters said he intends to follow the strategic plan that he created with Abramson, he noted that the plan may be subject to changes “as a result of” the economy, the upcoming presidential election and “changes in the student body.” 

“I’m going to work with senior leadership and the College administration and our board of advisors to make sure that we’re handing the Thayer School of Engineering to the next dean in very good shape, with a strong vision for the future,” he said.

Engineering student Piper Gilbert ’25 said Van Citters is “very communicative and helpful,” adding that “students really love him.” Gilbert said Van Citters helped her plan her engineering course schedule during her sophomore year.

“Professor Van Citters is the point person for people who want to write theses in the engineering department,” Gilbert said. “I have a lot of emails directed to him … and he helped me plan all my engineering courses over the years. He is truly one of the most amazing faculty at Thayer.”

Abramson also expressed confidence in Van Citters and the future of Thayer after her departure.

“I’ve had the pleasure of working closely with [Van Citters] throughout my time here, and I know he is capable and well-equipped to lead this great school,” Abramson said. “We will work together, along with our faculty and staff colleagues, to ensure a smooth transition.”