September 17, 2024 | Latest Issue

Chasing Stars: Best Stargazing Spots on Campus

From A-Lot to Balch Hill, one writer weighs in on Dartmouth’s best places to observe the night sky.

golf course.png

This article is featured in the 2024 Freshman special issue.

Stargazing isn’t just a hobby for me. It’s a passion deeply etched into my being. Literally — I have a moon tattoo on my wrist, symbolizing my fascination with the cosmos. It’s mind-blowing that millions of years ago, early humans gazed upon the same moon and stars that we do today. That continuity through time is nothing short of extraordinary.

When I first set foot on campus last August, my curiosity to explore extended beyond academics or social life. I was eager to discover the perfect spots for stargazing. I wondered: Where have students been enjoying the night sky for decades, or even centuries?

You don’t need to venture far on campus to enjoy the breathtaking night sky. Every night during my freshman year, after finishing my assignments in Baker Berry or studying in Sanborn Library, I would slow down on my walk back to my room in Cohen Hall to marvel at the stars. This nightly ritual became a cherished part of my routine, offering a moment of tranquility and reflection even when I lacked much free time during my day. 

When I did find myself with a spare moment, I ventured a little farther to take in the night sky. One of my favorite memories of my freshman year took place last spring, when a group of friends and I visited the golf course at 1 a.m. to see aurora borealis, the northern lights. While the lights from the golf course were not very strong, the experience of seeing the stars in such a vast clearing was enough to inspire wonder. The expanse of the night sky left us feeling both humbled and enchanted.

As an astronomy major, Mayumi Liz ’25 also shares a deep passion for the night sky and its mysteries. She finds that the stars serve as a “constant reminder of the vastness of the universe,” which helps her put her problems into perspective. 

During the fall 2023 term, Liz took ASTR 3, “Exploring the Universe,” which included observational astronomy labs using the North Telescope. Although the Shattuck campus observatory contains a large telescope from the 1870s, the instrument is rarely used due to the high cost of keeping it in operation. Instead, Liz said she and her class used the North Telescope, located in a shed next to the observatory. The experience allowed her to connect more intimately with the cosmos, fostering both her academic growth and personal appreciation for the stars, she said.

“The stars constantly remind [me that] the universe is so much larger than any of my biggest problems,” she said. “It’s majestic and I like to appreciate it.”

After finishing my finals in winter 2024, a friend and I also went to the Shattuck observatory, located behind Dartmouth Hall, to listen to music together. It’s a tranquil place, perfect for unwinding after a stressful day. We spent hours there, talking and enjoying the quiet beauty of the surroundings — making it one of the most relaxing moments of my term.

Like me, Duda Freitas ’26 finds tranquility in observing the stars. Whether it’s with friends or on her own, she enjoys wandering out in the late hours if the sky is clear and she’s in the mood for a walk. 

“I stargaze around campus when I need something calm to do,” Freitas said. 

A-Lot — located a 15 minutes walk from the Green on East Wheelock Street – and the golf course are Freitas’s go-to stargazing spots on campus. While both have minimal light pollution, she prefers A-Lot because it is usually less crowded, offering a more solitary experience. For those willing to make a longer trek, she also recommends Balch Hill, which is around a 45-minute walk from the Green.

“Balch Hill takes longer to reach, but it has the best views and the least company,” Freitas said.

One of Freitas’s most memorable stargazing experiences came after a disagreement with a close friend. Seeking some peace, she and another friend laid on a blanket on the golf course, chatting and soaking in the evening quiet. 

Freitas’s stargazing outings often depend on her mood, she said. Sometimes, she enjoys the solitude of an impulsive session alone. Other times, she plans ahead to go with friends, making it a shared experience. Freitas said she also tries to share her love for the stars with the broader community. For example, she co-planned a stargazing trip with the Dartmouth Outing Club during her sophomore year. Unfortunately, the event was canceled due to inclement weather. Despite the setback, Freitas said her enthusiasm for stargazing remains undimmed. 

Stargazing might seem like a fleeting interest to some, but it holds immense significance for those who partake in it. Here at Dartmouth, nestled away from the city lights, we are fortunate to enjoy clear skies, untainted by urban glare. The star-studded night sky becomes a canvas of tranquility and wonder, offering a breathtaking view of the cosmos. As a student, these moments under the stars are among my most cherished experiences. Whether lying on a blanket at the golf course or trekking up to Balch Hill, each stargazing session is a memorable adventure. These times with friends often lead to meaningful conversations about our dreams, fears and aspirations.

I’m immensely grateful for the joy that stargazing brought me this past year, offering a much-needed escape from daily stresses. The pressures of academic life melted away as I lay underneath the sky, listening to the gentle rustle of leaves. The vastness of the universe puts everything into perspective, reminding me of the broader scope of existence. Now, as a rising sophomore, I can’t help but wonder: What other unforgettable moments will next year bring under the stars?