September 30, 2024 | Latest Issue

Review: Chappell Roan’s tour celebrates individuality and creative freedom

Chappell Roan’s performance in Berlin reached audience members with its rawness and intimacy.

Screenshot_20240929_195212_Gallery.jpg

Following a very unexpected twist of events, my friends and I found ourselves at Chappell Roan’s last European concert for the Midwest Princess Tour on Sept. 23, during our time on the Berlin Foreign Study Program. Held at the Velodrom arena, the show replaced an earlier concert she had to cancel and drew a crowd of around 12,000 people — her largest audience outside of a festival to date. The atmosphere was a celebration of her creative vision. Many in the audience dressed like Roan herself, fully embracing the bold, vibrant fashion from her music videos. One person wore a pink cowboy outfit complete with glitter boots, while another sported an angel costume with a heart-patterned skirt and heart-shaped makeup accents. The attention to detail in their looks made the entire experience feel like a living, breathing extension of Roan’s art.

Three drag queens opened for Roan, each delivering diverse and captivating performances. From lip-syncing to Madonna songs to performing ballet in pointe shoes over pop music, the range of talent was stunning. It felt like a celebration of drag culture in all its forms, and the queens made sure to thank Roan for providing a platform that honored and recognized their artistry. After their sets, we waited for about an hour before Roan finally came on. Though the wait felt a bit drawn out, the crowd stayed engaged by jamming to a playlist filled with female artists such as Rihanna and Lady Gaga.

Roan performed a total of 15 songs. The show kicked off with “Femininomenon,” one of her most well-known and energetic tracks, which instantly hyped up the crowd. Throughout the concert, she seamlessly alternated between slower, more emotional ballads like “Picture You” and “Kaleidoscope” — which allowed the audience to sing along and soak in the vibes — and high-energy songs that made everyone dance, such as “Hot To Go” and “Super Graphic Ultra Modern Girl.” She saved fan favorites like “Good Luck Babe” for the end, which gave the show a satisfying build-up, before closing with “Pink Pony Club.” This final choice made for an interesting conclusion, as the song perfectly encapsulates her unapologetic embrace of self-expression and the search for a space where “boys and girls can all be queens, every single day” — a celebration of freedom and individuality.

Overall, the show was refreshingly minimal in terms of flashy production elements. There were no grandiose choreographies, nor an overload of props — except for one standout moment during “Picture You” when Roan draped a wig over her mic stand to playfully represent a past lover. The true magic of the night came from Roan’s vocal prowess and magnetic stage presence. She delivered live renditions of high-range songs like “Good Luck Babe,” hitting every note. Beyond the music, her interactions with the audience were highlights of the show. She had the crowd laughing as she called out quirky audience signs she had noticed — such as a two-meter-long one with the word “Femininomenon” — and got everyone dancing by teaching her iconic cheerleader choreography from “Hot To Go.”

The concert felt less like a polished spectacle and more like a connection between an artist and her fans. While the overall production was straightforward, Roan incorporated stage visuals that added an extra layer of charm. Bright, colorful images displayed on the screens with quirky fonts — a signature of her style — kept the audience visually engaged. A floor fan, used by both Roan and the drag queens from the opening act, added a playful, ethereal effect to the performances. These subtle yet effective details created a unique atmosphere that blended humor and theatrical flair, keeping the crowd entertained without overshadowing the music and fan interactions.

Roan’s all-female band, featuring a guitarist, bassist and drummer, also played a key role in energizing the audience. The group’s performance, paired with Roan’s vocals, kept the momentum going, and the crowd clearly fed off their enthusiasm. The band maintained an intense energy while playing the instruments, adding an extra layer of dynamism to the show.

Roan’s message of acceptance and individuality seemed to echo throughout the entire venue, wrapping itself around every person in the crowd. At one point during a break, she paused to reflect on how meaningful it was, after 10 years of working hard in the music industry, to finally be standing in front of such a large, loving audience. She spoke about how special it felt to be in a space where everyone was not only accepted but also celebrated for being their true selves. “You are all welcome here to dress however you want, to be whoever you want to be,” she said, with such warmth that it felt like a personal invitation to each of us.

As I looked around, it was obvious that her message had truly resonated. I saw groups of university friends dressed in pink princess gowns, embracing the playful, over-the-top fashion inspired by her music. There were LGBTQ+ couples in their 50s holding hands, smiling and soaking in the joy of the moment, and even parents with their children — some no older than 13 — dancing along to the songs with wide-eyed excitement. That night added something special to my time in Berlin, with everyone leaving with their own “Pink Pony Club” moment to remember.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★