September 9, 2024 | Latest Issue

Food Review: Still North Books & Bar

According to Katharine Bramante ’26, Still North Books & Bar offers fantastic food and ambiance.

IMG_1418.jpg

Still North Books & Bar is a downtown Hanover staple and a must try in the Upper Valley. The hybrid café, bar and bookstore, located at 3 Allen St., is frequented by students and locals alike looking for a place to work, a new book to read or a delicious bite to eat — and it’s sure to join your list of favorites. 

I went to Still North for lunch on Wednesday, and I am excited to tell you what I found. 

The door closest to Main Street opens into a large room full of books and cozy furniture, giving the comforting feeling of organized clutter. The mix of organization and chaos makes the atmosphere anything but intimidating — it welcomes you to sit down to read a book, chat over coffee or get some work done. 

Artwork beckons to you across the walls. There is a busy convivial atmosphere throughout the store — people scanning shelves for their next favorite novel, students focused on their schoolwork and customers gabbing over food and coffee. In addition to merging books with café options, this establishment also blends day and night life with options of coffee, tea, beer and wine.

To get to the café, you can either walk through the bookstore or opt to use a second door, placed closer to School Street. The café part of the store holds true to the artsy and fun atmosphere of the bookstore part. Indie music plays softly from the store’s speakers, and eclectic furniture makes you feel at home. The place is almost always bustling. No matter the time of day you visit, it can be challenging to find an indoor, or even outdoor, seat. In the countless times I have gone to eat  at Still North, I have always struggled to find good seating, but — being foremost a bookstore  — books should be the priority, not tables.

Once I found a seat, it was time to wait patiently for the food. Although my order took a while — a little more than 25 minutes — the wait was more than worth it. From my first bite, it was obvious that the staff put time — and most importantly, love — into what they make. 

Still North offers sandwiches, small bites, varieties of toast, salads and drinks. I ordered “The Huxley” — a sandwich with prosciutto, salami, melty Challerhocker cheese, pickled peppers, sliced tomato, arugula, oil and vinegar — for $13. I also ordered the tomato and pesto toast that includes pesto, sliced tomato, melted mozzarella and balsamic reduction for $7. 

The sandwich was delicious. The bread was toasted to a crunch — though perhaps almost too much, since the bread became somewhat hard and sharp after cooling. Luckily, the tomato added a balancing moisture. The pickled jalapeños added sweet and spicy flavoring, the savory flavor of the prosciutto and salami was happily welcomed and, finally, the tang of the arugula, melted cheese, oil and vinegar brought all the ingredients together. 

The tomato and pesto toast was just as fantastic. The pesto was spread to the edge of the toast, a nice attention to detail in the presentation. There were three to four small pieces of mozzarella melted on top, with an obviously fresh tomato and a delicious balsamic reduction. Still North proved why this combination is considered a classic. 

If the only two negatives — long-ish wait times and a lack of seating — don’t ward you off, then Still North — with its welcoming environment, books galore and delicious food — should be next on your list.

Rating: ★★★★★