September 11, 2024 | Latest Issue

Food Review: My Brigadeiro

Katharine Bramante ’26 will “definitely be back” to My Brigadeiro after trying the shop for lunch.

mybrig_bramante

While walking down Main Street in Hanover on a sunny summer day, the array of sweets in the window of My Brigadeiro caught my eye. For the last two years, I had only heard rave reviews about the café, but I had never ventured inside. Something about the sunlight hitting the glistening croissants on this particular day finally drew me in.

After a full lunch with dessert, I can’t help but agree with the shop’s enticing slogan, “Sweets you can’t resist. Really. Can’t.”

The entire café seems to warm the heart until it is just warm enough to purchase a sweet treat or two … or three. The interior of the store is brilliantly concocted. Despite the lack of knick knacks and trinkets, My Brigadeiro feels like a grandmother’s kitchen. Wallpaper covers the store in green and pink leaves. Displays of sweets greet you at every turn, and warm welcomes from the staff feel like an open embrace. 

The outdoor seating at My Brigadeiro was my favorite part. The quaint white chairs and surprisingly comfortable tables make you feel like you are enjoying your food on a homey porch. Flowers and vines decorate the rims of the windows. While the street can sometimes feel busy, the intimate ambiance of My Brigadeiro encourages you to privately gab with friends over coffee. 

My date and I ordered two sandwiches, one treat, one empanada and a coffee. 

The Mediterranean sandwich contained arugula, avocado slices, chickpea hummus, olive tapenade and roasted red peppers with balsamic vinaigrette. It was the perfect appetizer before dessert. While it may be expensive at $14.75, My Brigadeiro did not hold back on portion size — the sandwich was the size of an entire baguette. The avocado and hummus balanced out the salty acidity of the balsamic vinaigrette and arugula. It was delicious and so filling that we could only finish half. 

The Bacon Lettuce Tomato with avocado and chipotle, which we purchased for $12.75, was also a great lunch. While I believe they forgot my avocado, the chipotle sauce was perfectly spiced, making it a wonderful addition to a classic sandwich. 

The salteña empanada for $4.25 was my favorite part of the meal. While it could have had a crunchier crust, it was delicious. According to the My Brigadeiro website, the owner was “inspired with [the customer] in mind and [her] desire to share Brazil’s national sweets.” Her expertise in making Brazilian food was clear in this delicious empanada — and all of the sweets in the store.

The shop specializes in brigadeiros, which are a traditional Brazilian dessert. Made from chocolate and sweetened condensed milk that is then rolled into a ball and covered in chocolate sprinkles — or any topping of your choice — My Brigadeiro puts one on the lid of every drink they serve. In addition to the chocolate flavor, the store offers options such as crunchy crunch and salted caramel.

While I adored my little brigadeiro for dessert, I also satisfied my love for pastries after eating their Vol-Au-Vent Croissant for $5.15. This pastry tasted like a classic done right. The sweet treat was crunchy in the right places and soft in others. The sugar coated on top added a burst of sweetness with every bite, and the strawberries and Bavarian cream felt fresh even after a morning spent in the display. 

While a bit on the expensive side, My Brigadeiro offers dishes full of love and care. With the bigger portion sizes, this shop is the perfect place to go with a friend or a date to split a sandwich and a treat.

My Brigadeiro offers a comfortable environment, yummy sweets, good food and much more. I am happy I finally tried the shop that some call their favorite, and I hope you will too. 

Rating: ★★★★☆