September 11, 2024 | Latest Issue

APhi barred from fall recruitment

Alpha Phi sorority was suspended in July following the death of Won Jang ’26.

5.14.22_APhi_NainaBhalla.jpg

Alpha Phi sorority will not participate in recruitment this fall, according to a campus-wide email sent by the Inter Sorority Council Thursday evening. APhi was suspended by the College in July following the death of Won Jang ’26.

“In July, Alpha Phi was placed on an Immediate Temporary Suspension which requires the cessation of all organizational activity including recruitment,” assistant dean and director of Greek Life Josh Gamse wrote in an email statement to The Dartmouth on Thursday evening. 

Jang, whose body was recovered from the Connecticut River on July 7, attended a joint social event with APhi and Beta Alpha Omega fraternity, his Greek house, the prior evening. Following Jang’s death, the Hanover Police Department launched an investigation into potential hazing.

According to past reporting by The Dartmouth, the social event involved alcohol. College spokesperson Jana Barnello confirmed that both APhi and Beta remain suspended.

Representatives from the Dartmouth chapter of Alpha Phi sorority and the Alpha Phi national organization did not respond to requests for comment after one hour.