September 2, 2024 | Latest Issue

A Guide to Hosting Family and Friends During Sophomore Summer

One writer explores how students get the most out of family visits while staying on top of Dartmouth commitments.

wadlow sister

Three classes worth of homework, clubs, sports and social gatherings often fill our days, leaving us wondering, “Where did the time go?”

Before coming to Dartmouth, I was a little nervous that I would find myself with nothing to do except aimlessly scroll through social media in my bed. Yet somehow, our days — and weeks — pass by in the blink of an eye. Although I am grateful for the never-ending events and assignments populating my calendar, I am forced to reevaluate how I spend my time in Hanover when someone without the same responsibilities visits, like my brother.

This past weekend, my little brother — although, at 18-years-old, I suppose he’s not so little — visited me in Hanover for the first time. I reflected on when my parents and little sister visited me last fall and thought of ways to make my brother’s upcoming visit just as fun. I racked my brain for the best restaurants, off-campus spots and activities that he might enjoy. We ended up having an incredible weekend filled with good food, chill hangouts with friends and even a trip to Vermont. Since parents’ weekend is approaching quickly, I thought I might share what I, and three other members of the Class of 2026, have enjoyed doing with family members this summer.

Louise McKown ’26 hosted her mother and aunt from Georgia last weekend. Although her mother had been to Hanover before, it was her aunt’s first trip. In order to guarantee a memorable few days, McKown planned a variety of fun trips across the Upper Valley. 

“We just love going to different restaurants and trying places around the Upper Valley, or going into Woodstock is really fun,” she said. “Exploring, if you’re into hiking, is always a good thing to do. … We actually went on a little hike at Moosilauke, which was so fun.”

Family visits to campus are not only a great way to reconnect, but for anyone with a younger sibling, they can also double as a college tour. Lakshmi Jain ’26’s younger brother is just starting his search. Jain showed him around Dartmouth in hopes that he might apply. 

“My whole family visited me this past weekend, and my brother came specifically because he’s a rising junior [in high school], so he’s going to be applying to college soon,” Jain said. “I wanted to show him around Dartmouth because I want him to apply here obviously.”  

Jain said Woodstock, Vt., is also a family favorite. When her parents and younger brother visited her last weekend, they opted to stay in the quaint Vermont town rather than Hanover.

“They told me it was kind of a vacation for them to come [here],” she said.“Seeing me was just a perk because they primarily stayed in Woodstock and just hung out there.” 

Although it may seem less than ideal, having family stay outside Hanover can help mitigate the stress of hosting. Spending quality time with loved ones is a nice distraction from daily life at Dartmouth, but the flow of assignments and exams does not stop.

While her family was off exploring other towns, Jordan Meier ’26 utilized her free time to get homework done. She said they stayed in a separate place so while she could go and visit them, she could also have her own space or even take a break in the library. 

“Just give them suggestions of what to do while you’re in the library,” she suggested. “Send them off on a little quest or mission.”

Similarly, McKown said that staying ahead of her workload helps balance her hosting duties.

“I usually try to get ahead on work before they come into town so I’m not super stressed,” she said. “I also do work later at night so that I can get the full day to spend time with them.” 

When they are tabling other responsibilities to spend time with their families, students make the most of their time through dinners at Molly’s Restaurant & Bar, ice cream at Scoops and trips to local swimming spots around the Upper Valley. Even the simplest activities like a Woccom — a walk around Occom Pond — or a tour of the library are a good bet. 

“There’s so many entertaining things on campus,” Meier said. “Just walking around is entertaining in itself, showing them around the library, especially with your younger siblings, immersing them in the college community is a really cool experience for them. I think my brother really enjoyed it.” 

Upon my brother’s arrival last Friday night, I took him to Foco for a late dinner of chicken tenders before settling down in my apartment for a movie night with some friends. While I was eager to teach him the joys of pong, we were all exhausted and in need of a chill night at home. After a good night’s sleep and a delicious breakfast at Lou’s, we ventured off campus to Warren Falls, Vt., for some swimming and lunch. 

On an ordinary Saturday, I would probably lounge around Hanover with friends, but having my brother in town forced me to explore a new area of the Upper Valley and broaden my horizons. We ended the day with several games of pong and — although we lost every time — ended the weekend on a high note.

As long as your homework is under control and you have a few plans in your back pocket, family visits don’t have to be stressful. Showing friends and family your life at school is a great way to step outside your comfort zone and see Dartmouth with fresh eyes.