July 1, 2024 | Latest Issue

Growing Pains and Gains: ‘Inside Out 2’ Captures the Heart of Adolescence

“Inside Out 2” dives deeper into the complexities of young adulthood.

Inside out 2 design 24X W1.png

Time flies when it comes to animated masterpieces. It feels like just yesterday we were introduced to the colorful emotions inside Riley’s head in Pixar’s “Inside Out.” But, believe it or not, it’s been nine years since we first met Anger, Disgust, Fear, Joy and Sadness. On June 14, Pixar brought us “Inside Out 2,” a sequel that delves even deeper into the complexities of growing up.

The film picks up with Riley as a 13-year-old teenager, showcasing the challenges and triumphs of growing up. This time around, we see new emotions add complexity to Riley’s internal world, such as Anxiety, Embarrassment, Ennui and Envy. As Riley navigates these new emotional landscapes, she learns that her best friends will be attending a different high school the following year. Anxiety takes it upon herself to reinvent Riley, hoping that this new version will gain the approval of a new group of friends and secure her a spot on the hockey team. Anxiety ultimately pushes Riley’s present sense of self to the back of her mind and exiles Joy and the other old emotions. It’s up to Joy and her companions to journey to the depths of Riley’s mind and restore her original sense of self before Anxiety completely disrupts Riley’s ability to function.

“Inside Out 2” doesn’t shy away from the emotional and mental health issues of adolescence, but rather approaches them with the same delicacy and humor that made the original film a beloved classic. Even as it showcases the difficulties brought on by puberty, the film also serves as a celebration of all emotions, recognizing the important roles each one plays in our growth. By presenting an honest portrayal that encourages empathy and understanding, “Inside Out 2” reminds us that every emotion is a crucial part of our journey and development. 

Humor plays an important role in “Inside Out 2,” adding a lighthearted touch to the film’s exploration of adolescence. This humor is not only found in Riley’s interactions and the everyday trials of teenage life, such as homemade attempts at dyeing hair, but also in the dynamic interactions between her emotions. From these humorous emotional dynamics to modern slang, “Inside Out 2” captures the essence of adolescence with remarkable authenticity. These small details make Riley’s journey relatable and genuine. By incorporating such elements, the movie not only entertains but also resonates deeply with non-teenage audiences, reminding us of our own teenage years and the universal experiences of growing up.

It’s no wonder that the portrayal of adolescence in “Inside Out 2” feels so authentic and relatable, considering the depth of personal experience behind its creation. The film’s success in capturing the nuances of teenage life is largely due to its significant female representation in the creative team. According to producer Mark Nielsen, more than half of the story team consists of women, bringing diverse perspectives and insights into the narrative. To accurately depict Riley’s experiences, the team used some of their own embarrassing stories. These personal anecdotes came from team members of various ages, ensuring a wide range of experiences and viewpoints. By drawing from their own lives, the creators infused the film with genuine emotion and real-life situations that resonate deeply with viewers. 

In recent years, many sequels have struggled to meet audience expectations, leaving fans disappointed and wary of new installments. There was considerable apprehension online that “Inside Out 2” might follow the same path. However, Kelsey Mann, making his directorial debut with this film, successfully dispelled these fears. Mann managed to honor the original’s legacy while maintaining the authenticity of its beloved characters and storyline. He skillfully added more depth and intriguing details to the “Inside Out” universe, enriching the narrative and providing a fresh perspective without losing the charm and sincerity that made the first film a classic.

For example, the film introduces creative new settings like Riley’s Belief System, an imaginative area where her memories transform into beliefs. This space is depicted as a temple with beliefs represented by guitar strings, visually and audibly connecting Riley’s emotions. These additions build on the imaginative landscapes of the original film, such as the Islands of Personality and the Memory Dump, deepening the audience’s immersion into Riley’s complex inner world.

Reflecting on the nine years since the original “Inside Out,” it feels as though we have grown alongside this story. Many of us watched the first film as children, enchanted by its colorful aesthetic and engaging characters. Those vivid memories are etched into our minds, filled with the simple joys and curiosities of childhood. Now, as we stand on the threshold of adulthood, we can appreciate the deeper layers and nuanced storytelling that lie beneath the vibrant exterior of “Inside Out 2.” This movie stands out as a shining example of how sequels can enhance and deepen the original narrative, transforming it into something even more impactful and relevant.

Pixar has once again delivered a story that is not only entertaining but also profoundly touching. “Inside Out 2” bridges the gap between childhood and adulthood, allowing us to see ourselves in Riley’s struggles and triumphs. It is a testament to the power of animations to convey complex emotions and universal truths in a way that is accessible to all ages. Pixar’s exceptional storytelling and stunning visuals breathe life into abstract concepts, making them relatable and impactful. This film is a beautiful reminder that growth is a continuous journey, filled with ups and downs, and that every step, no matter how challenging, is a part of what makes us who we are. 

Rating: ★★★★★