October 7, 2024 | Latest Issue

Tuck School of Business team co-hosts summit in Cairo

This March, a Tuck School of Business team traveled to Cairo to co-host a summit titled “Learning by Doing: The Power of Experiential Learning in Management Education” at the American University in Cairo.

The AUC School of Business and the Global Business School Network co-hosted the event alongside the team from Tuck. The Global Business School Network is a non-profit based in Washington, D.C., that dedicates itself to business education in the developing world, according to chief operating officer Page Buchanan.

Buchanan said that the organization periodically holds summits, most often in countries with developing economies.

These summits expose educators to various teaching techniques, which the organization hopes will be implemented and ultimately contribute to long-term economic growth, she said.

Buchanan said that this summit marks the first event held by GBSN in Egypt and the first GBSN summit on experiential learning.

“It was really exciting to do the summit on this topic, since we think student projects and experiential learning are a very important piece of business education,” Buchanan said.

She said that GBSN was very excited to work with Tuck on the summit, as well as with other participating business schools.

“Tuck obviously has a really developed program, especially in terms of experiential learning, so it was awesome to work with them,” she said.

She noted that she thought the summit was a success as they had full attendance in the program.

Business administration professor at Tuck and one of the event’s organizers Steven Kahl said that this summit is in the spirit of both the College and Tuck’s dedication to new classroom methods as outlined in the “Moving Dartmouth Forward” plan.

He noted that the aim of the summit was to introduce new experiential teaching techniques into the traditional classroom setting.

Kahl also noted that the event’s participants were diverse, including students and members and practitioners of the European advisory board, a Tuck program comprised of alumni living in Europe and focused on recruiting European students and improving career opportunities in Europe.

He also noted that the summit’s location in Egypt brought Tuck’s work to an international level.

Tuck associate director of development and major giving and director of corporate relations Shafika Khayatt said that she felt the international aspect of the summit was important. She noted that participants represented 11 countries including the United States as well as countries from the Middle East, Europe and Africa.

She said that the summit focused on how educators currently work in the classroom and how to add an experiential level of learning in order to best prepare students for the workforce.

Khayatt said that all summits of this type further Dartmouth’s commitment to global education by creating new relationships with various companies and schools. For example, she noted that Tuck met with a business incubator that had more than 100 entrepreneurs.

Tuck director of on-site global consulting and experiential and global learning collaborate Kerry Laufer led the organizing team, Khayatt said. Laufer was not available to comment due to travel.

This article ran in print under the headline "Tuck team co-hosts event in Cairo" on April 2, 2015.