October 6, 2024 | Latest Issue

Hanlon and Gentes will match United Way donations

Dartmouth has raised $252,000 of its $320,000 goal.

College President Phil Hanlon and Dartmouth United Way campaign co-chair Gail Gentes will boost Dartmouth’s total contribution, with a pledge to match $25 for every donation made from Jan. 15 until the end of the campaign on Feb. 14, Amy Olson, the College’s senior media relations officer, said in an email.

Thus far, the campaign has raised $252,000 of the $320,000 goal, Olson said in an email.

Dartmouth United Way began providing funding to non-profits in the Upper Valley over 40 years ago as a member of the larger statewide organization Granite United Way and it’s 40 participating agencies and non-profit organizations, Olson said in an email. This year’s campaign saw a significant increase in the number of donors involved, United Way steering committee member Bill Platt wrote in an email. The campaign gained 200 first-time donors, 100 more than the target figure, and increased participation from employees of Facilities, Operations and Management and retirees, he said.

Tracy Dustin-Eichler, steering committee member and Tucker Foundation program officer for local community service, said she finds the success of the campaign so far to be encouraging.

“We’re always excited to see the Dartmouth community supporting our local community, both through the volunteering that students and folks are doing through our office but also through donations that are made to the campaign,” Dustin-Eichler said.

Gentes said in an email that while this only her second year at the College, she has been seeking out new and effective means of raising funds for the campaign. She said these methods include asking unit coordinators to increase communication with those in their units and holding more raffles with the support of local retailers.

Granite United Way relationship manager Katie Kobe said that the incorporation of an online donation site and increased student involvement led to the program’s success.

Students personally wrote to professors asking them to make contributions to the campaign and explaining to them why they think United Way is a cause worthy of their support, she said.

Lambda Rho chapter of the Order of Omega at Dartmouth, a honor society for Greek-affiliated students, worked with undergraduate students to sponsor a number of campaign-related events, Olson said in an email.

Joseph O’Donnell, steering committee member and professor at Geisel School of Medicine, said that the value of donating lies not only in the charitable nature of giving, but also in the way that giving improves the health of the donator.

One such benefit is the effects of eudemonic happiness, the pleasure gained from “getting outside yourself and giving to others,” O’Donnell said.

“Those people that are eudemonically happy have lower levels of bad immune proteins that correlate with you getting heart disease,” he said.

With three weeks still remaining, Kobe said she believes that Dartmouth United Way can reach its goal.

“I am so impressed with all of the dedication, time and top-down support that we have from Dartmouth College,” Kobe said. “As a fundraiser, it has been an absolute dream to work with Dartmouth College and everyone on the steering committee, and all the sub-committees and agencies that helped with this campaign.”

Until Jan. 30, those who pledge funds online will be added to a grand prize raffle pool with prizes including three nights’ lodging at a Dartmouth Outing Club cabin, one night’s stay at Six South Street Hotel, a gift certificate to PINE for $100 and a season pass to ski at Whaleback Mountain, the College reported.