August 3, 2024 | Latest Issue

A View from the Woods

I’ve enjoyed being able to share my stories and thoughts through my column this spring — perhaps more so than the editors who quickly became aware of my chronic procrastination.

In my mind, Dartmouth athletics have a permanence that comforts student-athletes and fans alike. Part of this permanence is the longstanding history of Big Green sports. Football at Dartmouth dates back to 1876. Women’s sports are a more recent development, but several teams have seen remarkable success. This results in generations of alumni who care deeply about their sports and about Dartmouth.

Another part of the permanence is tradition. I have faith that decades from now, students will continue to find creative ways to sneak tennis balls into the hockey game against Princeton University. Dartmouth sports gives me comfort given the uncertainty of graduation on the quickly-approaching horizon.

Dartmouth sports have been a big part of my life since I was little. Seeing the overwhelming continuity of the last 20 years has contributed to this view of permanence. I’ve written about my experience growing up in Hanover, looking up to Dartmouth athletes as role models and how much I loved being a ball girl for the women’s basketball team. During my time as a student, Big Green sports have continued to be a big part of my experience — as an athlete and a fan.

In an attempt to understand what makes athletes tick — and shamelessly write something reflective for my last column — I asked five seniors what is has meant to be a Dartmouth athlete. Some of their responses matched my expectations. They learned how to be a team player, work through disagreements and play together to achieve something bigger. A few explained that they learned the hard way how to manage their time and plan ahead for missing class. Others have learned that success comes in many forms, including overcoming injuries, eating disorders and other setbacks.

Several athletes I spoke with struggled to put their experiences into words. Being an athlete is more than learning how to manage your time, building close relationships with your team and earning cool Big Green clothing. There is something unifying about wearing green and white and being part of the tradition of Dartmouth sports.

The last home game is traditionally celebrated as senior day, a chance for teams to recognize the hard work and commitment of their graduating players. For me, senior day is always a reality check and a reminder that college does not last forever.

While some sports, like running, can continue past college more smoothly than others, it is sobering to realize that one might not compete on a team again after graduation. It’s not just athletes who hang up their equipment at the end of four years, but also loyal superfans who graduate and move on to the big world outside the bubble.

Although the players, coaches and even uniforms change over the years, there is something permanent about Dartmouth sports in which I find peace.