October 5, 2024 | Latest Issue

Inside the Locker Room

I’m not sure how closely you follow NCAA politics, but in an attempt to better the well-being of student-athletes, the NCAA recently approved a few new rules. Football players are now required three hours of rest between preseason practices, but the most important and controversial rule is one that would provide Division I athletes with unlimited meals and snacks.

The details remain vague and, while conceptually it’s a great idea, we must think about it in real terms. Imagine every athlete at Dartmouth (34 teams with over 1,000 athletes) getting free meals paid for by the NCAA. Let’s broaden the scope to every Division I sport in the U.S., and now funding and the rule’s practicality get a little hazy.

While this rule change is creating some uproar, it does bring forward an incredibly valid issue: the nutritional needs of student-athletes.

As with other aspects of student-athlete life, balance is vital. We take into account everything that goes into our bodies to maximize athletic performance. Dartmouth Peak Performance and dietitian Claudette Peck meets with sports teams and individuals ­— both athletes and non-athletes — to discuss reaching nutritional goals.

“Athletes need a bit more help in the planning process to get their goals achieved,” Peck said. “They often need to talk in detail about what foods and when, as it helps them to make better decisions with limited time.”

Have you ever wondered why many athletes carry around a jar of peanut butter? It’s the classic pre-practice snack. A spoonful on a rice cake or an apple provides us with a filling, protein- and fiber-packed snack with fewer calories than many alternatives. Sure, it’s fatty, but it releases energy slowly, sustaining us physically throughout practice. Small snacks on days packed with classes and practices help keep athletes going during those mid-afternoon energy slumps.

Just as every individual has different nutritional needs, Peck said, different sports require different meal plans.

While lightweight rowers need to stay below the maximum weight cutoff before race-weekend weigh-ins, they try to make it up afterward and get the nutrition they need before their race. In season, the football team often sits with their coaches at FoCo to ensure that they’re consuming the proper calories to achieve the desired weight for their position. To be an offensive lineman, peanut butter and eggs aren’t enough — but eating pizza, chicken, salmon and several burgers in one dinner is unheard of for many other athletes. Luckily, for most, there is a happy medium.

When it comes to finding this balance, Peck emphasizes the “more important issue is that the athlete is well-fueled every day, and that the body has been trained to receive and utilize food with regularity so that performance at practice and on game day is consistent.”A standard list of go-to foods, like hummus, grilled chicken and eggs can provide a solid foundation for an athlete’s regular diet and many options can be added in for variety. On an individual level, our diets change due to allergies, sensitivities or stress levels. Teams’ diets can fluctuate depending on the intensity of training during different terms.

In our fall season, the field hockey team, exhausted from long days of physical activity, often jokes about going for third and fourth dinners at FoCo, thankful for the all-you-can-eat dining hall. Being in- versus out-of-season can affect an athlete’s daily nutrition.

The immense array at FoCo presents many nutritious offerings for athletes on all ends of the spectrum. However, for those athletes who can’t find the time to get to FoCo, Peck suggests foods like egg and cheese sandwiches, smoothies and peanut butter from the Hop, Collis and even KAF. When the dining halls seem too far away, keeping a store of protein supplements, Gatorade, chocolate milk and granola keeps athletes prepared for any sudden hunger attacks.

Whether you’re a varsity athlete who needs energy to practice or a student looking to focus in the library, your diet can play a significant role in accomplishing your goals. As athletes, we attempt to maximize our performance in a number of different ways, but at the end of the day, eating healthy, balanced meals and snacks can make the difference between good and bad days on the playing field.​

Inside the Locker Room is a weekly column, alternately written by Phoebe Hoffmann ’15 and Sarah Caughey ’15.