October 5, 2024 | Latest Issue

Inside the Locker Room

I walk to the locker room precisely three and a half hours before each game. And every time, my hands start to shake, and questions begin racing through my head: Is my team ready? Am I ready? How will the game turn out?

Stress is probably a familiar emotion to most Dartmouth students. Picture students fumbling through notes to cram in a few last-minute equations before an exam, hearts pounding.

But what’s the point of worrying when there are some things that cannot be controlled?

I’m still trying to figure this out, but pre-test or pre-game, I’ve learned that the first step is getting in the right mindset.

There’s no doubt that being a student at Dartmouth has its fair share of stressors, and sports can be a big one for student-athletes. The Dartmouth Peak Performance program has a growing repertoire of resources to keep our muscles and minds in tip-top shape. When it comes to mental health, Mark Hiatt, DP2 psychologist, is at the helm in helping build a strong mindset for each individual on a team. According to several athletes who have met with Hiatt, his techniques include visualizing scenarios and fostering connections among teammates.

Visualization is key for many athletes, preparing them to handle on-the-field situations instead of entering panic mode. The composure allows for easier decision-making and a leg up on the competition. When minutes feel like seconds, every little moment counts. In a less technical way, Hiatt guides teams in exercises to get to know each other on a deeper level. The root of a well-oiled machine is knowing what it takes to make each piece run smoothly and being prepared if any cog breaks down. These activities seem like common sense, but the right mentality can be the difference between an all-star team with great athletes and a championship team with players whose talents and tight bonds foster a winning program.

After several experiences with DP2’s leadership program, many athletes have been ingrained with mental toughness. In the fall, the field hockey team and several other teams were put through an incredibly taxing eight-hour experience in the woods around the Dartmouth Skiway in the pouring rain, during which we were all reminded that mental toughness is all we have left when physical strength gives way. Athletes can spend countless hours in the weight room, but it is just as important to build and maintain strong mental health for many reasons. Players cannot reach their maximum potential if factors such as fear, anxiety or lack of focus are clouding their vision. Fear is the biggest obstacle — it can inhibit every step an athlete takes.

The pressure is always on. At practice, players constantly balance building their teammates up while competing with them for a spot on the field come game day. Competition day brings a whole new set of stressors. Whether it’s putting on gear in a specific order, eating the proper food at the right time on game day or something simple like having a good warm-up, the part of the day before a game can bring out a wide range of nervous habits, irrational fears and mind games. While your physical fitness will not change in one day before a game, your mental preparedness can. There are many ways to psych yourself out, and it is vital to develop coping mechanisms.

However, game day is not the only time athletes need to be on top of their mental game. Like other students with commitments that extend past the classroom, athletes have to worry about balancing academics. Some professors are incredibly supportive when teams are on the road; others are not. Some coaches understand that academics should come first; others do not. The decision to stay up in Baker until closing time to finish a paper before the next day’s huge game is just one decision that student-athletes (varsity, club and the ever-so-dedicated intramural athletes) must make all too often. Unless your academic-sports-social (if you’re lucky) scale is balanced properly, it is easy to fall into a harmful cycle. Prioritizing mental health is key to a balanced lifestyle.

Inside the Locker Room is a weekly column, alternately written by Phoebe Hoffmann ’15 and Sarah Caughey ’15.