October 5, 2024 | Latest Issue

Wills '06 signs with MLL team

Devon Wills ’06, the first woman to sign with a Major League lacrosse team, faces a unique adjustment as she works to earn a spot in the New York Lizards’ net.

The team chose Wills from the player pool on Dec. 16 where those who are not taken in the MLL supplemental draft are placed. Wills will compete for a spot on the team in April.

“To be in the pool was a huge honor, and then now getting an opportunity to try out with the team, I’m really grateful,” Wills, the defensive coordinator for the women’s lacrosse team at the University of Southern California, said. “Hopefully I can get out there and prove myself.”

Wills has shown her talent in goal over her career. In her time at Dartmouth, Wills led the women’s lacrosse team to Final Four appearances in 2005 and 2006, was a three-time All-American and Ivy League first-team player, and missed just one game over the course of her four-year career as starting goalie, in addition to leading a decorated career on the U.S. National Team. After college, where she made 538 saves and finished with a 7.14 goals-against average, Wills went on to help the U.S. win the Federation of International Lacrosse World Cup in 2009, where she was named player of the match in the championship game, and again in 2013, when she was named to the All-World Team.

Wills is one of the best players to have competed for Dartmouth, women’s head coach Amy Patton said. A great teammate and leader, Wills always put the team first, Patton said.“She never settles — she’s always wanting to improve,” Patton said. “That’s the difference between someone that wants to be good and a champion.”

Wills is still heralded by the program as an example for the women on the lacrosse team to emulate.

“She’s someone who has entirely committed to the game and works extremely hard for accolades she’s awarded as opposed to settling for her natural talent,” co-captain Kara Lehman ’14 said.

Wills’s life has revolved around the sport since starting lacrosse in the eighth grade. From 2003, when she was the Ivy League rookie of the year, until 2006, Wills was a member of the U.S. Developmental Team, after which she joined the U.S. National Team.

Since graduating, Wills has immersed herself even more in the sport. She worked as an assistant coach for the Big Green women’s team from 2007 to 2008, and at Denver University from 2010 to 2011.

Despite her experience, Wills faces a steep learning curve to adjust to playing on an all-male team. For now, Wills’s training consists of practices with the U.S. Team, which is preparing for an upcoming event. Wills said she will then focus on familiarizing herself with the speed and shooting techniques of men’s lacrosse.

While women’s and men’s lacrosse differ significantly in rules and style, Wills’s position as goalie may ease her transition.

“Men’s and women’s lacrosse on the field are completely different sports,” Lehman said.“But in terms of seeing shots, being a goalie, it seems to me much more similar.”

In addition to preparing physically, joining an all-male MLL team will require Wills to prepare mentally.

“There could be some backlash,” Patton said. “I hope that they can just let her be another player out there, and let her develop just like every other person on the team is doing.”

Despite Wills’s opportunity, she said she considers her responsibilities at USC her first priority, so she will wait to join the Lizards until the end of the collegiate season.