July 6, 2024 | Latest Issue

Geller: Healthy Competition

Each year, the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association weighs in on not letting former varsity athletes play in club sports. A rule permits each club team to have as many former varsity players as they want, providing they only played varsity for one season. While the rule has not been changed, the question of whether or not former varsity players should be allowed to play in club tournaments should be reaffirmed on a smaller scale, in the context of the College’s intramural sports.

Former Big Green varsity athletes should be allowed to continue to play intramural sports. Where else would they play if they were not allowed to participate in intramural leagues? Dartmouth is a small school in a small town, and there are no other leagues available to these players.

At the College, as long as a player did not play varsity for the season in question, he or she is eligible to play in intramural games. I am not at all bothered by allowing ex-varsity players to compete in intramural sports. Many of them are past their prime and not in as good shape as they were when they were varsity athletes. But many intramural players would prefer that these athletes do not play, as they have a distinct advantage over those who have never played a varsity sport and just want to play for fun.

This question resurfaced this past weekend, regarding intramural basketball and a team of ex-varsity players who call themselves Lob City. Many intramural basketballs players are less than thrilled that they must compete against a squad of ex-Division I basketball players. This year’s team boasts three former Dartmouth varsity basketball players, and, in its different incarnations, Lob City has proven to be formidable. The team recently picked up a graduate student with four years of varsity experience and two freshmen on the club basketball team.

However, Lob City didn’t ultimately win last year, and while they may be considered favorites to bring home the title this year, nothing is guaranteed (as evidenced by the team’s collapse in last year’s final against Alpha Delta fraternity’s team).

Intramural sports should be enjoyable and competitive. There are other ex-varsity players scattered throughout the league in addition to multiple club players, and this diversity of skill lends to a more competitive game for all involved. Not all intramural teams play in the same league, and by participating in less competitive brackets, teams with little-to-no basketball experience can hold their own without being crushed.

Although I hope that several of Lob City’s players will have conflicts causing them to miss the game against my own team, I have no problem with them playing in intramural games at the College. And if anything, I am excited about our match against Lob City — the team presents a challenge. Nothing worthwhile is easy, and intramural sports are no exception.