October 5, 2024 | Latest Issue

Rem: Normal and Extraordinary

Malala Yousafzai, a 16-year old Pakistani girl, has become an international sensation from her experience advocating for education rights. What makes her story special and what has put her in the spotlight all over the world, including here at Dartmouth, is her fearlessness and resiliency even when threatened by the Taliban, a militant group in the Middle East. Her advocacy in her home of Swat Valley, Pakistan, stemmed from her experience being targeted and shot in the head by the Taliban a year ago. After experiencing such violence, Yousafzai now courageously states that she fears neither death nor the Taliban and that her goal of education for all children has only been strengthened. It is remarkable for a young girl to be able to heal so quickly, both physically and mentally, from such a violent encounter and then be able to share her story on the world stage.

Yousafzai was named one of Time magazine's "100 Most Influential People in the World," was the youngest person to be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize, spoke in front of the United Nations, appeared on The Daily Show and earned dozens of prizes and awards for her advocacy in social welfare, peace and education. It is not her age that makes Yousafzai special, but it is her maturity and her resiliency from years of experience. She stated that, before the Taliban arrived, her home in Swat Valley was a peaceful place and that her father was a leader in education. Yet after the Taliban arrived, public schools were shut down and some were destroyed completely. Yousafzai felt it was her duty to speak out and advocate for girls' education by whatever means were available to her.

Yousafzai's story provides an inspiring example of how powerful and influential our voices are, even as adolescents and young adults. She models for us, as Dartmouth students, ways to speak up and advocate our own passions and concerns. In Yousafzai's case, she understands the importance of education from her father as well as the cost of education when it is taken away.

It is clear that Yousafzai's story and her experiences are unique. She had her father as a role model, she practiced activism early in her life, she was almost assassinated by the Taliban and now she has become an internationally known advocate. It is the addition of all of her unique experiences as well as her connections that has made her the person she is today. Similarly, everyone here at Dartmouth comes from different experiences and perspectives. We all have the potential to question and challenge the key issues in our communities, in our country and even in our world. Yet, what separates Yousafzai from other advocates? How does one go from standing up for one's beliefs to actually influencing one's environment?

The answer, I think, can be found in an interview with Yousafzai's father. The pride that Yousafzai's father has in his daughter and her incredible accomplishments is very clear from the way he speaks about her. Yet at the same time, he also believes Yousafzai "is an average girl" who simply has an amazing trait that elevates her to the "extraordinary." This trait is what, also separates a regular advocate from an extraordinary one. Advocates have strong critical thinking skills and the mental curiosity to always ask "Why?"; they learn from their mistakes and continue to grow from them; and they have the courage to be resilient in the face of obstacles and conflicts. What makes Yousafzai extraordinary, however, is her ability to transform tragedy into opportunity. An experience with death would deter even those with the hearts of lions, yet somehow, Yousafzai's violent and terrifying near-death experience became her strength. Shortly after the assassination attempt, Yousafzai said, "I have already seen death, and I know that death is supporting me in my cause of education." Incredible.

I hope that no one in the Dartmouth community will ever be forced into a situation where he fears for his life because he fights for a cause or belief. However, it is important for all of us to internalize the almost unbelievable feat that Yousafzai has accomplished. After all, would you be able to befriend your greatest fear for the sake of a passion?