October 6, 2024 | Latest Issue

Football looks to rebound against perfect Yale

10.11.13.sports.football
10.11.13.sports.football

The Bulldogs come to Hanover undefeated at 3-0 with a 1-0 Ivy League record after blowing out Cornell University in week two. The Big Green (1-2, 0-1 Ivy) enter looking to get off the schnide and back into the win column, having dropped their last two games. Last week, the Big Green fell in heartbreaking fashion to the University of Pennsylvania in four overtimes, the longest game in Ivy League football history.

Last season, the Bulldogs finished last in the Ivy League due to an injury-riddled campaign. This year, the team is reinvigorated thanks to senior quarterback Henry Furman, junior running back Tyler Varga and senior wide receiver Chris Smith, who lead a potent offense.

"Yale's probably going to be one of our biggest games of the year," co-captain linebacker Bronson Green '14 said. "They've had a really good start to the season and we're going to treat this game like a must-win. They have the ability to knock off some of the better Ivy teams."

Last season, Dartmouth won 34-14 at the Yale Bowl, snapping Yale's nine-game winning streak against Dartmouth. Yale leads the all-time series 53-37-6.

"Yale enters 3-0 and they defeated a top 25 FCS team last week," co-captain free safety Garrett Waggoner '13 said. "They're very talented and it's going to be a tough game for us."

Yale defeated California Polytechnic State University 24-10 last week after entering halftime trailing 10-7. Yale proceeded to shut down Cal-Poly, allowing just 37 yards over the last two quarters, and knocked Mustangs out of both top-25 FCS polls.

Furman has completed 59-of-86 passes for 681 yards, five touchdowns and just one interception through three games this season. On the ground, Furman has run 14 times for 101 yards and four touchdowns, good for second on the team. For the fourth time in as many games, Dartmouth's defense will have to face another dual-threat at quarterback which it has been unable to stop.

Against Cornell on Sept. 28, Furman set a school record with an .806 completion percentage (29-of-36) while accumulating 353 yards and three scores. Against Colgate University in the season opener, Furman scored three times on the ground from 25, one and 33-yards out.

"[Furman] is a guy who can beat you with his arm and his legs," Waggoner said. "We're going to have to do our best to contain him."

Dartmouth's defense will have a difficult time reaching Furman. Yale's offensive line has yet to allow a sack, buying enough time for Yale's offense to average 81 plays and 33 points per game.

Over the first three games, Dartmouth's defense has given up an average of 484.7 yards per game.

"We've got to just take it one game at a time and keep moving forward," Waggoner said.

Furman has a couple of nice options in Varga, who has totaled 86 carries for 455 yards and a score, and junior receiver Deon Randall who has 25 catches for 298 yards, three touchdowns and another score on the ground.

Dartmouth is coming off a loss to Penn (2-1, 1-0 Ivy) 37-31. Dartmouth racked up 534 yards only to fall short as Penn's junior running back Kyle Wilcox stormed into the end zone for the walk-off touchdown.

"For the Yale game, we need to be more consistent on both sides of the ball," Green said. "We were able to make some plays in all phases of the game but we had some penalties and missed opportunities. We've got to do a better job getting teams off the field."

Dalyn Williams '16 has been enjoying a breakout season so far, completing 69-of-115 for 793 yards, five touchdowns and one interception along with 56 carries for 304 yards and two touchdowns. Williams, however, must maintain constant awareness of where sophomore strong safety Cole Champion is on the field.

Against Cal-Poly, Champion recovered a fumble, picked off two passes and helped shut down Cal-Poly's offense in the second half, earning FCS national player of the week and Ivy League co-defense player of the week honors.

If Champion and the Yale defense succeed in stifling Dartmouth's passing attack, Williams and Dominick Pierre '14 must lead the ground game. Pierre is Dartmouth's leading rusher with 368 yards, five touchdowns and a 5.9 average per carry. The senior needs just 58 yards to eclipse the 2,000-yard mark for his carrer and become the third Big Green back to do so. Combined, Pierre and Williams have over 550 yards after three games.

Dartmouth and Yale kick off tomorrow's game at 1:30 p.m., which will be broadcasted on Fox College Sports.