October 6, 2024 | Latest Issue

Bruce named senior VP for public affairs

Thomas Bruce, Cornell University's vice president of communications, has been named Dartmouth's senior vice president for public affairs, the College announced this morning.

Bruce will oversee communications and marketing functions as part of President Phil Hanlon's senior leadership team. Bruce will also direct the College's government relations efforts in conjunction with the Provost's Office.

"Tommy is a consensus builder with the creativity, energy, and leadership ability necessary to elevate Dartmouth's reputation in today's competitive landscape," Hanlon said in a statement.

The College began a search earlier this year for a senior vice president for marketing and communications. Spokeperson Justin Anderson has directed the Office of Public Affairs, which employs over 30 staff members, since the departure of former vice president for communications Roddy Young last April.

As the head of Cornell's communications division, Bruce led efforts to build and maintain relationships with community members and boost the university's image. In 2004, Bruce oversaw the redesign the university's logo and launch of its new website, The Cornell Daily Sun reported.

Before joining Cornell's staff in 2004, Bruce was senior vice president of Chlopak, Leonard, Schechter and Associates, a consulting firm for politicians and international organizations. He has also served as director of the Organization of American States' Office of External Relations, was on the House of Representatives' international relations committee and was a anchor on Christian Science Monitor's news channel.

The executive search firm Korn Ferry International directed the search. Its advisory committee, chaired by Tuck School of Business Dean Paul Danos, included College trustees John Replogle '88 and Laurel Richie '81, Dean of the Faculty Michael Mastanduno, Tuck School of Business corporate communication professor Paul Argenti and music and computer science professor Michael Casey.