October 6, 2024 | Latest Issue

Bruce named public affairs VP

Thomas Bruce, Cornell University's vice president of communications, was named Dartmouth's senior vice president for public affairs, the College announced yesterday. The newest member to join College President Phil Hanlon's senior leadership, Bruce will assume his position on Nov. 18 and report directly to Hanlon.

Bruce will oversee communications and marketing functions and direct the College's government relations efforts in conjunction with the Provost's Office.

Bruce said he looks forward to telling Dartmouth's story, particularly its excellence in teaching and research, to the media, prospective students, faculty and the alumni base.

"It's the kind of challenge that I love," Bruce said. "The first thing is to make sure that everybody in the orbit of Dartmouth understands and knows what's going on. The second big initiative will be to put forward all the extraordinary things that are happening on campus. Dartmouth is truly one of the stars in the firmament of higher education, and to have the opportunity to join President Hanlon and his newly assembled senior leadership team is a great honor."

At Cornell, where he assumed his first role in higher education in 2004, Bruce established the departments of public affairs, marketing and campus relations and led efforts to build relationships with community members and boost the university's image. He oversaw the redesign of the university's logo and launch of its new website, and visits to the website grew to more than 38 million page views in 2012, while the number of articles about Cornell in national and international media increased to 187,736 in 2013 from 13,552 media hits in 2003, according to a statement by the university.

Bruce is the "best thing to happen to Dartmouth since Daniel Webster," Cornell press relations director John Carberry said.

"What you'll find very quickly is that he'll be coming up with innovative ways to show off the brilliant stuff you folks do," Carberry said. "The world's going to know what you're doing more than you ever imagined it could. He's going to find a way to collect those stories, and he's going to find a way to tell it."

In light of negative press over the last year, notably following allegations of hazing at Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity made by Andrew Lohse '12, the College has actively sought to improve its image. A search began earlier this year for a senior vice president for marketing and communications, and the College launched a redesigned website and appointed former marketing firm executive Mitchell Kurz '73 to the Board of Trustees. Dartmouth is making efforts to highlight academics and research: strategic planning reports proposed a name change to Dartmouth University, and College President Hanlon has emphasized increasing a global presence. In the spring, tour guide routes were changed to exclude Webster Avenue, instead visiting the Class of 1978 Life Sciences Center and athletic facilities.

Tuck School of Business corporate communications professor Paul Argenti, an advisor to the vice president search, said the College has not had a broad communication function before.

"I've been at Dartmouth for 32 years, so I've seen a lot of people work on communications," Argenti said. "We need someone who could manage a bigger idea for what communications could be, to include marketing."

Cornell Dean of Students Kent Hubbell said Bruce will be "sorely missed."

"He really can interact with all members of the university community," Hubbell said. "The whole spectrum, from university executives to students, staff and, of course, alumni."

As soon as the announcement was made, Bruce received numerous calls from friends suggesting activities in Hanover.

"I have to admit to you I love the snow," Bruce said. "So I am particularly happy, because that means I might be able to go skiing and become acquainted with the outdoors. I have relatives, friends who've been to Dartmouth, and everybody has just been telling me how beautiful and wonderful it has been to enjoy the countryside and get involved in the local community."

Before joining Cornell's staff in 2004, Bruce was senior vice president of Chlopak, Leonard, Schechter and Associates, a consulting firm for politicians and international organizations. He has also served as director of the Organization of American States' Office of External Relations, was on the House of Representatives' international relations committee and was an anchor on Christian Science Monitor's news channel.

The executive search firm Korn/Ferry International directed the search. Its advisory committee, chaired by Tuck School of Business Dean Paul Danos, included Argenti, College trustees John Replogle '88 and Laurel Richie '81, Dean of the Faculty Michael Mastanduno and computer science professor Michael Casey.