October 6, 2024 | Latest Issue

Women's soccer sees 1-0-1 week

09.30.13.sports.wsoccer
09.30.13.sports.wsoccer

"We got a lot of confidence out of Thursday's game, and that's a big advantage going into a league game," captain Marina Moschitto '14 said.

Sunday's game, however, did not play out as the Big Green had hoped.

Dartmouth played a tough game against Brown yesterday, with both teams managing to keep the match scoreless until the final 13 minutes, when Bears senior Kiersten Berg's shot on goal gave Brown its 1-0 win over the Big Green. While Dartmouth continued to fight until the match's end, securing a corner kick with seven minutes on the clock, it was unable to break past the Bears' defense for a goal.

"We were definitely the better team," Emma Brush '13 said. "We just need to figure out how to put the final touch on our game play and make it click offensively."

Dartmouth was able to outshoot Brown 16-12 over the course of the match, as well as rack up 8 corner kicks to the Bears' three.

The Big Green women will be back in action next Saturday, hosting Princeton University at 7 p.m. on Burnham Field.

"Princeton stole Ivy from us, so there's a lot of unfinished business to take care of this year," Moschitto said.

Dartmouth scored 45 seconds into Thursday's game with an assist from Brush and a head into the net from forward Lucielle Kozlov '16. Dartmouth proceeded to possess the ball for the remainder of the game and maintain a tight defense, complete with one save by goalkeeper Tatiana Saunders '15. The Big Green outshot the River Hawks 11-1 in the first period of Thursday's game.

Brush headed in a corner kick from defender Kelly Brait '14 22 minutes into the second half, putting up Dartmouth's second goal. Nine minutes later, forward Claire Goss '17 tipped in a cross from midfielder Holly Patterson '17, adding a third goal to the scoreboard.

"The team connected and was really fluid," goalkeeper Sam Fearer '14 said. "I saw real chemistry on the field. It seemed like everyone was fulfilling the role that needed to be filled."

By the end of the game, Dartmouth had the advantage in both shots on goal and corner kicks, beating UMass Lowell 20-1 and 8-1, respectively.

Moschitto said recent practices have focused on a lot of pattern play and definitely impacted Thursday's game.

"Our defense was really good at throwing the ball forward," she said. "We had a lot of build up from the back."

With a freshman goal and goalkeeper Casey Cousineau '17 playing the second half, rookie contributions helped in Dartmouth's victory over the River Hawks.

"Our program has a history of having impactful freshmen," Moschitto said. "It's no surprise that they came in and performed the way they did."

The Big Green next take to the field on Oct. 5 at home against Princeton.