September 28, 2024 | Latest Issue

Veteran men's soccer head coach resigns to join MLS club

After 12 years at the helm of the Big Green men's soccer team, head coach Jeff Cook announced last week that he is accepting a position with the Philadelphia Union Youth Academy of Major League Soccer.

During his tenure, the Big Green achieved considerable success. Cook led his squad to five Ivy League titles and seven NCCA tournaments while posting an overall record of 106-74-31. Over the past nine seasons, Dartmouth saw action in the NCAA Tournament seven times, advancing to the Sweet 16 in 2008 and 2010.

His players achieved All-Ivy League accolades 61 times, including Ivy League Players of the Year for Craig Henderson '09 and Lucky Mkosana '11. The 2010 season was one of the most successful in the program's history as the Big Green posted a 12-7-1 record and advanced to the Sweet 16.

Despite his success on the field, Cook calls the relationships he forged with his players and coaches as his greatest accomplishment at Dartmouth.

"There have been some incredibly memorable games on Burnham Field and some very gratifying seasons, but the response that I've gotten since the news became public from former players, friends in the community and fellow coaches has been totally overwhelming," Cook said. "It really made me remember how close-knit our community is and how we really value each other."

Athletic director Harry Sheehy pointed to Cook's intangible qualities as the true mark of his success.

"I think the thing I most appreciate about him is the tenor in the program and the way he led it," Sheehy said. "He brought high-quality people here, both as student-athletes and as coaches, and certainly the success that followed was a product of that."

In his new role, Cook will be involved in recruiting, analyzing matches, working on the college draft, coaching at the Union Youth Academy and supporting Union manager John Hackworth. Sheehy believes Cook is well prepared to take on these responsibilities.

"He will bring a tremendous sense of organization and passion for the game," Sheehy said. "He has a real heart's desire to see the game grow at the grassroots level in the United States, and this is really a unique opportunity for him to take part in that."

Men's soccer co-captain Kevin Dzierzawski '13 expressed excitement about Cook's new position.

"I think it's a great move for him," Dzierzawski said. "It's definitely an exciting time for him and his family and also for Dartmouth men's soccer. It's an honor and a dream of his, and I'm glad that he decided to take the next step forward in his career."

Cook's decision to the leave the Big Green comes at a crucial time for the men's soccer team, who will play two exhibition games this term in preparation for the fall season.

"It will be a little interesting that we won't have a head coach until after our spring games, especially since he won't really get to see us play before next season," Dzierzawski said. "Everyone will have to work hard to make the transition as smooth as possible."

Despite these challenges, Dzierzawski is optimistic about the prospects of a new coach.

"I think this is a great opportunity for the players and the coaching staff to get a fresh start as we continue to build off coach Cook's strong foundation," he said.

Sheehy emphasized the importance of maintaining the program's momentum.

"The one thing I can say now is that the team will have good coach," he said. "With that in mind, they just need to keep doing the things they need to be doing in terms of working hard in training and practice."

The athletic department already began the hiring process and hopes to sign a coach by the end of the month.

"This is a great opportunity to find someone who is a great match for Dartmouth, and someone who will bring the right kinds of student athletes here," Sheehy said.

The College hopes to find a coach with passion for the game and athletes, Sheehy said.

"We're looking for someone who can lead a program and build into young men's lives, not just through soccer but also in aspects of leadership and friendship," he said. "The thing I always look for is an extreme passion for teaching."

As for next season, Cook will surely watch his former players from afar in the hopes that they clinch another Ivy title.

"I look forward to watching them play and hopefully become Ivy champions, because I think they are capable of that if they take the individual pride in preparing themselves," he said. Cook expressed gratitude to his players, both past and present, and to his assistant coaches.

"I hope everyone knows how much I've loved Dartmouth and how much I believe in the missions of it," he said. "It has been a true honor to coach at Dartmouth."