October 6, 2024 | Latest Issue

Counting down to football-season kickoff

In only 10 short days, the NFL will be back in action when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers take on the New York Jets in the first preseason game. It has been six long months since Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl and a lot has changed for every team. Here's a quick preview of the training camp and picks for the upcoming season.

Top Five Training Camp Quarterback Battles

1. Miami Dolphins: Jay Fiedler vs. Brian Griese

The addition of Brian Griese from the Broncos leaves Miami with a quarterback controversy. Miami fans want Griese, because of his father's success for the Dolphins in the '70s, but Griese's battle with alcohol has hurt his production on the field. Even with the acquisition of Griese, Coach Dave Wannstadt stands firm on backing Dartmouth alum Fiedler.

Prediction: Fiedler

1. Cleveland Browns: Tim Couch vs. Kelly Holcomb

Coach Butch Davis and the Browns enter training camp with Couch as the starter. The organization does not want to spend millions of dollars on a guy riding the bench so Couch should enter season as starter.

Prediction: Holcomb is starting by mid October and Couch is left crying again in the locker room.

1. St. Louis Rams: Kurt Warner vs. Marc Bulger

After last season's disaster, Warner looks to regain his old form. Coach Mike Martz denies any controversy at quarterback and says Warner will be the Rams' starting quarterback.

Prediction: Warner

1. Baltimore Ravens: Chris Redman vs. Kyle Boller

Boller enters as a rookie from the University of California while Redman has a couple years in the Ravens system which would lead one to believe Redman would be the starter. However, Redman's shaky back makes him not such a good quarterback.

Prediction: Boller starts, Redman relaxes his bad back in a rocking chair on the sideline.

1. Dallas Cowboys: Quincy Carter vs. Chad Hutchinson

Who cares? Both of these quarterbacks are terrible. I won't waste your time.

Prediction: Lots of INTs.

Potential Breakout Team of the Year

Every year, one or two teams come out of nowhere and surprise us all. In 2000, it was the New York Giants and their Super Bowl run. In 2001 we saw the Bears rise from the dead and the Patriots win the Super Bowl. Last year, the Falcons, Browns and Jets were the surprise teams.

Breakout Team of the Year: Seattle Seahawks.

I may be alone on this one, but I feel that the Seahawks can win 10 games or more this season. Looking at the last six games of the 2002 season, Hasselback displayed his arm and threw for 300 yards in four of those games -- two for over 400 yards. In those last six games, the Seahawks beat the Chiefs, Chargers, Falcons and Rams and lost by a touchdown to the 49ers and Eagles. In addition to the Seahawks' potent offense, their schedule is very weak. Games include Bears, Lions, Vikings, Redskins, Bengals and the Cardinals twice: which should spell seven easy victories.

Runner-up: Carolina Panthers.

The Panthers could be a surprise team, but anytime Jake Delhomme is your best quarterback, the playoffs seem farther away.

The Philadelphia Eagles, on the other hand, are primed and ready to fail to meet expectations. The Eagles lost Hugh Douglas, Shawn Barber, Blaine Bishop and Brian Mitchell, while adding little in the offseason. The combination of these losses and an extremely difficult schedule (Tampa Bay, New England, Buffalo in just the first three weeks) spell 8-8 for the Eagles.

The Cardinals could contend for the team least likely to live up to expectations, but expectations are very, very low for this squad. For example, the Cardinal starting wide receivers are Jason McAddley and Brian Gilmore. Umm who?

AFC Projected Playoff Teams

1. Tennessee Titans

Their division includes the Texans, Jaguars and Colts. Wow. The Titans' defense and Eddie George get them the AFC south title.

1. Oakland Raiders

The aging Raiders look to try and reach Super Bowl again with one of the most explosive offenses in the league. But is this the last year for Jerry Rice?

1. New England Patriots

The Patriots had an outstanding offseason by picking up Roosevelt Colvin, Rodney Harrison, Fred McCrary, Tyrone Poole and Dedric Ward. With Tom Brady and the Patriots newly stacked defense, the Pats should make the playoffs. The one question for the Pats is at running back. Currently, retired Falcons' running back Jamal Anderson is talking to the Patriots.

1. Cleveland Browns

The Ravens could surprise some and win the AFC North. The Steelers are too weak in the secondary and the Bengals.....: no need to explain. Browns win through a breakout year for Willie Green, their defense, and kicking Dwayne Rudd off the team.

1. Miami Dolphins

All the pressure is on Fiedler to succeed. Junior Seau and Zach Thomas make a fearsome linebacker core to go with the Dolphins' outstanding secondary. Fielder either will be leading this team deep into the playoffs or will be looking for an offensive coordinator job (at Dartmouth perhaps?) next fall if the Dolphins do not reach the playoffs.

1. Buffalo Bills? Kansas City Chiefs? San Diego Chargers? New York Jets?

The final spot depends on the health of Priest Holmes. If he's healthy, and Trent Green does not throw more than three interceptions a game, the Chiefs should make the playoffs and leave the other teams mentioned above out of the playoff race.

NFC Projected Playoff Teams

1. Green Bay Packers

Brett Favre looks to lead his young offense to another division title. The Packers should be able to dominate the Lions, Bears and Vikings.

1. New York Giants

The G-Men are prime for a big season with the additions of Brian Mitchell, Dorsey Levens and a completely new special teams unit. Michael Strahan, Jeremy Shockey and Tiki Barker are heart of a Giants team poised to pounce on rebuilding Redskin and Cowboy teams. Questions remain over the Giants offensive line and Kerry Collins, but if the two can keep it together the Giants will make a late season run into the playoffs.

1. St. Louis Rams

If Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner can regain their old form, this could be a Super Bowl caliber team strictly because of its offense. The Rams will win shootouts over lots of teams, but unless their defense can become more reliable, the Rams cannot win the Super Bowl.

1. Atlanta Falcons

The addition of Peerless Price to Michael Vick, Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett make the Falcons frightening on offense. The defense is questionable, though, and Vick's health is key to the Falcons' success.

1. Seattle Seahawks

See Breakout Pick of the Year.

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Bucs still have the same defense that won them the Super Bowl last year, but the possible loss of Michael Pittman (legal problems) will hurt the Bucs' offense. Advice for Tampa Bay: do not expect Thomas Jones to be a starting running back on a Super Bowl team. Tampa Bay traded for the Cardinals' reject in the offseason to replace Pittman.

Super Bowl XXXVIII Pick: New York Giants vs. New England Patriots