September 14, 2024 | Latest Issue

DFS summer series is an 'excellent' ride for movie lovers

Foregoing previous attempts at intellectualism in favor of the spirit of summer, the Dartmouth Film Society is screening a jovial group of action-paced films this term aptly titled "Excellent Adventures."

This does not mean the series will feature only recently made American films. While not as well-balanced as previous series, as always, the series this summer offers a mix of films from both the past and the present.

"It is fairly well balanced, but it might lean slightly more to fan favorites, because in the summer people are more likely to go to movies for relaxation and escapism," DFS president Marc McDonald said.

While big-budget, summer-type movies probably sold the most film passes at registration, a variety of movies from several countries and all periods of film history will be shown.

The series kicked off on Wednesday night with "North By Northwest," Alfred Hitchock's 1959 thriller involving a man mistaken by Soviet spies for an FBI agent on their tail. Hitchcock called the scenario one of his "worst nightmares."

The series continues with "Kingpin," directed by Bobby and Peter Farrelly of "Dumb and Dumber" fame. This film contains generous amounts of bathroom humor and low physical comedy, which should be entertaining for those people who were amused by "Dumb and Dumber."

"Star Wars" is likely to be the most popular film in this summer's series. The DFS will be showing director George Lucas' newly made and "improved" re-release of his 1977 science-fiction super-nova. Those wishing to get a good seat for this feature are advised to come to Spaulding Auditorium well in advance of show time.

"Excellent Adventures" also includes a Tom Cruise double feature, pairing the recent-release "Jerry Maguire" with "Risky Business," one of Cruise's earliest films.

In "Risky Business," Rebecca DeMornay plays a prostitute who uses a clean-cut, baby-faced Tom Cruise to get away from her pimp. Cruise ends up converting his house into a brothel in the 1980s movie that launched him as a star.

In the film which spawned the most over-used movie phrase of the year, Cruise is Jerry Maguire, a sports agent with a heart of gold, representing Cuba Gooding, Jr.

July begins with "When We Were Kings," an Academy Award-winning documentary about the "the best known fight in boxing history" between George Foreman and Mohammed Ali in Zaire in 1974.

Two very different adventures are the subjects of the next double feature. "The Princess Bride," based on William Goldman's captivating fantasy novel, is playing first. Cary Elwes plays a dashing young pirate out to exact vengeance on the cruel prince who stole his beloved sweetheart.

Up later that same night is the series' namesake -- "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure." Keanu Reeves, in one of his first starring roles, teams up with Alex Winters as a pair of high school goons who go back in time to save the future of the human race.

Next up on the itinerary are two rollicking New York adventures -- the 1949 classic "On the Town" and Jackie Chan's American breakthrough film "Rumble in the Bronx."

Another film not to be missed is the 1951 film "The African Queen," starring Humphrey Bogart in the only role that landed him an Academy Award. He plays a drunken boat captain in Africa trying to bring Katherine Hepburn to safety on the eve of World War I.

The Dartmouth Film Society is also showing one of the greatest silent films of all time, "The Gold Rush," starring Charlie Chaplain as a muddled young man on his way to the Yukon to strike it rich.

A marvelous stop-action animation double feature is being shown late in July. "King Kong" and "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" are sure to spellbind viewers accustomed to Disney's nauseatingly safe and cuddly feature films. "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" features amazingly choreographed fight scenes between Sinbad and a terrifying array of monsters.

The DFS chose these particular films for the series because they embody the easy-going nature of summer.

"This series fits in well with the previous summer series, and more students on campus look to the Summer term as less stressful and time consuming than other terms," McDonald said.

All in all, this summer series affords Dartmouth students an opportunity to see some of their favorite films on the big screen instead of on a small dormitory television set.

"I remember over hearing two students talking at registration saying they didn't have to rent movies this summer because with the DFS film pass, they could see tons of their favorite ... movies twice a week," said McDonald.

The DFS "Excellent Adventures" film series offers something to tickle the fancy of even the casual moviegoer this summer in Spaulding Auditorium.