September 20, 2024 | Latest Issue

Talk focuses on women of color

About 40 students met at the top of the Hop yesterday afternoon as part of Sexual Assault Awareness Week to discuss how sexual assault affects women of color.

The discussion, moderated by Ann Marshall '95, focused mainly on how difficult it is for sexually assaulted women of color to obtain support from within and outside of their communities.

"Sexual assault is not separate from the racial problems and history which exist in this country," Susie Lee '94 said.

Women of color are often not believed when revealing they have been sexually assaulted, especially when the attacker is Caucasian, Lee said.

And if the attacker is part of their community, women of color are often made to feel as if they must keep silent to combat media-made stereotypes about their communities, she said.

"Women of color should realize that they too are part of their community and deserve to valued as such," S.T. Shimi '94 said.

Lee said the College can provide more support to sexually assaulted women of color by providing a more permanent support structure because peers currently provide most of the support.

Nicole Reboe '95 said, "Greater reception and support from the administration for these cases is needed as well as greater support from the student body, women and men alike."