September 20, 2024 | Latest Issue

Gunn, Sorzano discuss effects of Cuban embargo

A panel urging the United States to change its policy concerning the Republic of Cuba attracted a small audience of about 25 people to 105 Dartmouth Hall last night.

Jose Sorzano, a former Senior Latin America Advisor to the National Security Council, and Gillian Gunn, a professor at Georgetown University, discussed the reasons for the embargo and proposals for future U.S. policy regarding Cuba.

For more than three decades, the U.S government has imposed economic sanctions and a full embargo on the Cuban government because it is a "regime that systematically violated human rights," Sorzano said.

The embargo on Cuba was a response to "the unilateral confiscation of American property in Cuba by Castro," said Sorzano, an appointee of former U.S. President Ronald Reagan. Fidel Castro has been president of Cuba for the last 35 years.

The embargo was also a result of Cold War policy. "The United States had reason to prevent a Soviet presence near American shore lines," Sorzano said.

But since the demise of the Soviet Union, there has been a movement in the U.S government to end the embargo for humanitarian reasons.

"The Cuban people are already enduring enormous hardships. The embargo is contributing to that already critical situation," Sorzano said. He gave as an example that "Cubans are limited to four hours of electricity a day."

He said opponents of the embargo argue, "We are punishing not Castro, but the Cuban people."

Sorzano said the real reason for the embargo was so that the White House looked "forceful."

Gunn, a British citizen who supports loosening the restrictions on Cuba, offered her six-step approach to modifying the embargo.

Gunn's proposal includes establishing more connections between American and Cuban journalists and opening up travel between the two countries. "Journalists are on the forefront of the revolution in Cuba," she said.

Gunn also said Cuban leaders would be more open to a transition of power if they were given more control of its evolution.

"When the bad guy is given some say in the structure of his exit [from power], it tends to be more peaceful, and when he is not, it tends to be more violent," Gunn said.

Gunn said she supports placing sanctions on Cuba like those imposed upon South Africa before its government made concessions on human rights.

"What really promoted the transition [in South Africa] was giving South Africans and South African whites a role in their way out," Gunn said.

Mark Griffin '96 asked the panelists what they thought of potential military options. "Wouldn't it be most expedient to help [Castro] to his grave?" he asked.

"There is legislation that prevents any of our agencies from taking that kind of action," Sorzano replied. "The U.S. government has no intention to invade Cuba. This has to be a Cuban solution."