September 20, 2024 | Latest Issue

Town struts for charity

Hanover residents will be strutting their stuff this April when the Hanover Parks and Recreation Department sponsors a Spring Fling Fun Run and a Spring Strut to benefit Hanover Youth-in-Action.

The run, which traverses a 5 km course, and strut, a 1.5 km walk, will take place Saturday Apr. 30 . The courses will lead participants throughout Hanover, beginning on the Green in front of Webster Hall.

The proceeds of the races will be donated to Hanover Youth-in-Action, a community service organization that works with organizations such as United Developmental Services and the Head Start Program, Chris Vitale, Hanover's assistant recreation director, said.

The money raised will be used to hire a full-time coordinator of Youth-in-Action, whose salary will be about $30,000, Vitale said. The current coordinator, who volunteers for the position, will retire in May, she said.

This is the first year for the races, but Vitale said she hopes the day will become an annual event.

This year, prizes of homemade baked goods will be awarded to the winners of each section. Racers will be divided into both age and sex categories to compete.

Everyone who enters will be eligible to enter a raffle, which offers as prizes a pair of men's and women's running shoes donated by the Dartmouth Co-op.

The entrance fee will be $5 before Apr. 15 and $8 after that date for the Fun Run and $2 for the walk, paid through the Hanover Parks and Recreation Department.