September 20, 2024 | Latest Issue

Assembly proposes new constitution

The Student Assembly considered 21 amendments to a proposed constitution at its meeting last night.

The 27-page proposed constitution has had 15 revisions since the original draft was produced in January.

The amendments discussed fundamental aspects of the constitution and also addressed minor points such as wording.

The proposed constitution is a more detailed document than the present constitution.

The new constitution calls for a change in the number of general representatives from the student body from 21 to 24 and the number of freshman class representatives from seven to eight.

It also gives more flexibility to the Assembly by not pre-determining the functions of the Assembly's standing committees and by leaving unspecified spending limits to be determined each year by the by-laws.

Amendments to the proposed constitution include provisions for a special all student body election in the event of a tie in an initial vote for Assembly president or vice-president.

"The bulk of [the constitution] got through and I'm happy with that," Chair of the Constitutional Task Force Tim Rodenberger '95 said.

The Assembly will examine the constitution as a whole at its meeting next Tuesday and vote on whether to accept it.

The constitution must be passed by a two-thirds vote of the general Assembly in order to be instituted.