September 20, 2024 | Latest Issue

The Gap signs lease

The Gap, a national chain of clothing retailers, hopes to open its Hanover store by the first of June, College Real Estate Director Paul Olsen said.

Olsen would not comment about the specifics of the lease, but he said The Gap has a 10 year lease with the College and an option to renew.

The store will be located on Main Street in the space adjacent to the Hanover Inn, which was previously occupied by Brewster's and the Eleazar's Museum Shop. Both stores closed last spring.

Olsen said The Gap will use the entire first floor of the building as retail space. One third of the basement will be used as storage space.

The Valley News reported yesterday The Gap plans to spend $700,000 on renovations to the space. Olsen said these changes include raising the floor of the Museum Shop so the entire first floor is level, rewiring, lighting work, moving walls and adding a handicapped ramp and a dumbwaiter.

A representative speaking for Richard Crisman, senior director of public relations, at The Gap's corporate headquarters in California declined to comment until construction begins.

Construction is supposedly beginning this week, according to the Valley News, but Olsen said next week is more likely.