September 20, 2024 | Latest Issue

Former Trustee Zimmerman '23 dies

The flag on the edge of the Green stood at half mast Friday in honor of former College Trustee Charles Zimmerman '23, TU '24, who died Thursday at the age of 92 in Hartford, Conn.

Zimmerman served on the Board of Trustees from 1952 to 1972 and on the Board of Overseers of the Tuck School from 1951 to 1957.

Both Zimmerman Lounge in Blunt Alumni Center and Zimmerman Hall in the East Wheelock Cluster are named in his honor.

"He was Mr. Dartmouth," College Spokesman Alex Huppe said.

Zimmerman was an economics major and member of Zeta Psi fraternity. He earned his M.B.A. from Amos Tuck School of Business Administration in 1924 and graduated from the College's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in 1954.

In 1939 he became the youngest president of the National Association of Life Underwriters. He was named president and director of the Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance Company in 1956 and retired as Chairman of the Board in 1972.

Zimmerman was named Forbes Magazine's "Outstanding American Salesman" in 1935, "One of America's Outstanding Young Men" by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in 1940 and "Insurance Man of the Year" by Insurance Field in 1942.

After he left the College, Zimmerman held executive positions within the Dartmouth Clubs in Connecticut and New York. In 1936 he was the chairman of the Dartmouth Alumni Association of New Jersey.

In 1973 he received a Dartmouth Alumni Award for his service to the College and became a member of the Dartmouth Alumni Council. In the same year he was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree by the College.

Zimmerman also returned to the College in 1973 to give the 50th Reunion Class Address to the Class of 1923.

In addition to his extensive involvement with the College and his insurance career, Zimmerman was chairman of the Hartford chapter of the Red Cross Fund Campaign in 1949. In 1952 he was director of the Symphony Society in Hartford. From 1953 until 1956 he was director of the Hartford Golf Club.

A memorial service will be held for Zimmerman on March 10 in West Hartford, Conn. He has no surviving family.