September 20, 2024 | Latest Issue

B and G changes name

Buildings and Grounds officially changed its name to Facilities Operations and Management last term-a change College officials say reflects the broad range of responsibilities of people within the department.

"We are trying to better define our responsibilities as well as make our services more productive and cost efficient," said Michael Getter, the new director hired to oversee the changes in the department.

Getter, the former physical plant director at Oberlin College, came to the College last June. He replaced former Building and Grounds Director Dick Plummer and has assumed many of the responsibilities of former Business Affairs Director Jack Skewes. Both Plummer and Skewes retired last year.

"The reasoning behind the change is to reflect the skill level of our personnel," said Getter.

The department employs approximately 270 individuals, including support staff laborers and many professionals and craftsmen.

Carpenters, painters, heating technicians and electricians are some of the professionals and craftsmen employed by the department, Getter said.

Facilities Operations and Management also employs specialists with responsibilities ranging from the maintenance of fire alarm systems to power supply, Getter added.

"Just within my office, there are data analysts, computer analysts, financial managers and organizational managers," he said.

The logistics of the name change mostly involved replacing internal letterheads and issuing new decals for the approximately 30 vehicles owned by the department. Getter said the changes would cost around $1,000 to implement.

Getter said since he has taken over the director's position he has made many changes to the department, including meetings with different levels of management and a consolidation of responsibilities.

"I've instituted a weekly meeting with the se nior managers in order to get their feedback on what can be improved," he said.

"Organizations must be prepared to be reborn or they will become stagnant," Getter said, quoting an excerpt he recently read. "We are in our rebirth," he added.

Robert Morse, a heat plant operator, said he has definitely noticed a change under the new management.

"The name change is hard to get used to. I still call it B and G," Morse said. "It's getting a lot better around here, that's for sure. People tend to ask more of what we think. There's even a suggestion box, which is new."

Getter said management is committed to policy changes that promote employee participation and raise the morale of workers.

Getter said the new initiative "is part of a trend in many institutions that have departments similar to ours."