September 20, 2024 | Latest Issue

Aristide calls for return to democracy

In a public address last night, Haiti's exiled President Jean-Bertrand Aristide called on the international community to increase sanctions against his country in order to restore political stability to Haiti.

Aristide gave the keynote address in the College's conference titled"The Future of Democracy in Haiti" to a crowd of more than 350 people in Webster Hall. He spoke about the current political situation in Haiti.

"The mandate to reform government and govern in accordance with principles of justice, transparency and participation must be the government's guideposts in any negotiations to restore democracy," Aristide said.

In December 1990, Aristide was elected in Haiti's first free election. Nine months later, he was ousted from power by a military coup.

Since then, Aristide has been living in the United States under the protection of the Secret Service, trying to raise support for his reinstatement.

"During our government's first seven months in office, we demonstrated that animosity between the military rank and file and the civilians is not inherent," Aristide said. "We were able to work with the military to fulfill the mandate of democracy."

Aristide began his speech by explaining the historical significance of Haiti's present situation.

"The Haitian revolution stands as the most profound manifestation of the democratic will of the people of Haiti," he said.

But any view of democracy in Haiti must be linked to the reality of Haiti today, Aristide said.

Aristide offered a compromise for restoring democracy to Haiti Wednesday after refusing to meet a U.S. proposal that would restore civilian control but set no date for Aristide's return to power.

Aristide repeated this initiative last night, saying that if sanctions were increased he would be able to appoint a new prime minister and return to Haiti 10 days later.

Through Aristide's plan Haitian sanctions could then be lifted and international assistance could be restored to Haiti.

"Once the coup leaders leave, the true process of reconciliation can begin," Aristide said. "'Liberty, equality and fraternity,' the country's motto, can be put into application."

After Aristide's speech, guests directed questions to the exiled president.

Author Amy Wilentez and Mark Danner, who writes for the monthly magazine The New Yorker, began the question session by asking Aristide what will be his next step in attempting to restore democracy to Haiti and how he will regain the momentum of support left behind by his exile.

A Haitian student questioned Aristide about how she, living in Hanover, could help democracy in Haiti.

"You could easily forget Haiti if you didn't have a Haitian soul and Haitian blood within you," Aristide said. "Continue to study. You will be sharing with Haiti what you are learning here."

Throughout his answers Aristide reiterated that Haiti was not begging the United States for help.

"We are doing [this] with dignity," he said. "Because we respect you and we want you to respect us."

Aristide's speech drew chants from many Haitians in the audience of "Aristide!".

Martin Sherwin, director of the John Sloan Dickey Center for International Understanding, which sponsored the conference, said he is very pleased with it so far.

"The panel today was one of the most interesting discussions of this topic I've heard," he said.