September 19, 2024 | Latest Issue

Roe vs. Wade at 21

Saturday will mark the 21st anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court's Roe vs. Wade decision, which legalized abortion on demand in all 50 states. While the tens of millions of unborn children who have been killed since 1973 are the most evident and tragic consequences of the decision, legalized abortion has also made another significant and troubling contribution to our society.

Pro-choice forces have argued for the past two decades that women need access to abortion to effectively control their own bodies. A woman, the argument goes, should be able to decide whether or not she wants to have a child.

Now if immaculate conceptions were commonplace, then perhaps such a proposition would make sense. But the last time I checked, fetuses did not magically spring up in women's wombs.

Children are created when men and women have sexual intercourse. If abortion were illegal, then a woman would still be able to choose whether or not to have a child. If she wanted to guarantee that she would not become pregnant, she could simply practice abstinence. Or if she were willing to accept a slight risk of becoming pregnant, she could have sex and use one of many highly effective forms of birth control.

In a culture which promotes instant gratification at any cost, however, such reasoning is not popular. We are driven to deny that actions have consequences, and we are told to indulge in pleasure whenever possible. These dangerous ideas are reinforced by legalized abortion.

Despite the pro-choice side's rhetoric, less than five percent of abortions performed in the United States are the result of rape, incest, or a threat to the life of the mother. The vast majority of fetuses are, instead, killed because their existence is undesirable for their parents.

Because of legalized abortion, couples can have unprotected sex and pretend that their decision has no consequences. If they happen to create a fetus, the woman can have an abortion, and a life never really existed. Instead, the Supreme Court tells us it was "potential life." As the Church Lady might say, "How convenient!"

It is easy to see other evidence of the "actions have no consequences" ethos popping up in our culture. No-fault auto insurance and no-fault divorce both promote the fantasy that misfortunes are the result of fate, rather than the direct consequence of people's actions.

As long as our actions have no consequences, it makes sense to seek instant gratification whenever possible. If the result of irresponsible sex can be nullified, then can the result of any other poorly considered action? Why not have an extramarital affair, get drunk or use cocaine? As long as it feels good for the moment, we should "just do it" as the Nike slogan advertises.

Our culture is today plagued by the excessive pursuit of pleasure. Americans seeking "fun" may actually be doing more damage to the country than those citizens intending to do harm. The problems of AIDS, alcohol abuse, drug addiction and the breakdown of the family structure can all be traced back at their roots to this form of hedonism prevalent today.

Now, I do not mean to suggest that we should all live monastic lifestyles of denial. Rather, we must balance our desire for pleasure with our duty to act responsibly.

As commentator Dennis Praeger has noted, happiness and fun have very little to do each other. You can have fun by riding a roller coaster, attending a baseball game, or going to a frat on Friday night. But none of these activities will make you a happier human being in the long run.

Happiness can only be achieved through hard work and moral conduct. While it may not be fun to study, earning good grades will contribute to your happiness. And while working at a good marriage may not be fun, maintaining a good marriage will make you happy.

Those who mistake fun for happiness ultimately lead empty and unsatisfying lives. They go from activity to activity seeking pleasure, falsely believing they are on the road to happiness. Unfortunately, far too many Americans are now travelling on this road, which in reality only leads to misery.

While this societal trend has obviously not been solely or even principally caused by legalized abortion, making abortion illegal once again would send important messages to the American public. Yes, actions do indeed have consequences. And yes, you are responsible for the consequences of your actions.

Besides protecting the lives of unborn children, restricting abortion would force people to behave in a more responsible manner. Promiscuity would decline, and couples would increase use of birth control.

Before having sex, men and women would have to ask themselves, "am I willing to accept the risk that I may become a parent?" A dose of this type of introspection would serve our society and culture well.