September 19, 2024 | Latest Issue

ORL's Graduates in Residence, Needed and Worthwhile

In his critique of the Graduate Associate pilot program, Ethan Ostrow '96 has some valid arguments (Graduate students not needed in dorms, The Dartmouth, November 18, 1993). I fully agree that "Dartmouth's attention is primarily fixed on the development of undergraduate life, both academic and residential." But I don't understand Ostrow's complaint that graduate students in the dorms don't further these goals. Who could be more useful for decisions on what to do after Dartmouth than graduate students? At one time I had the same insecurities as Ethan. I didn't want a bunch of old people who hadn't even been to Dartmouth as undergraduates telling me what to do. Then I actually met them. These people are not stepparents - or Harvard graduates, whichever is worse. The GA in my dorm happens to be a '91 attending the Thayer school.

From my understanding, the graduate students are more of a 24-hour Career Services rather than a local branch of Hanover Police. I am troubled by Ostrow's fear of such people checking up on him. People do not describe the Undergraduate Advisor position as such. I see the GAs as nothing more than UGAs for upperclassmen. I don't think the Office of Residential Life assumes that we're irresponsible undergrads and need to be tucked in every night. Rather, I think they're trying to foster a sense of (gasp) life after Dartmouth.

Last winter I agreed with Ostrow that a graduate student would never understand me or be of any use to me. As my terms have ticked away, life after Dartmouth has always seemed like that giant sucking sound Perot talks about. I've always wondered what you're supposed to do after you graduate from college. Am I supposed to transform into an adult in the real world after I step off that stage?

After spending time with some of the GAs, most of my looming uncertainty has somehow vanished. I've learned about postgraduate options I never knew I had.

Give the program a chance. I do not see how you can criticize people you've never met. I think the worst harm the column has done is in terms of the graduate students themselves. The headline of the editorial screamed "Graduate students are not needed in dorms." Not needed by whom? Not needed by countless juniors and seniors wanting to know what lies ahead after Dartmouth? The Student Assembly seems to think the GAs are worthwhile - the SA affirmed this in a resolution last spring. Considering the risk ORL is taking by implementing this program, would they not hire only the best people for the positions? I think they have.

DAVID GONZALEZ '95