September 19, 2024 | Latest Issue

New rag targets men, frats

The first issue of a new student publication focusing on women's issues was distributed Monday night to fraternities, sororities and affinity houses around campus.

The new publication called Inner Bitch, examines such issues as rape, incest and feelings of oppression.

"Our publication gives voice to the feelings of a radical contingent of women on campus who are usually not heard," said Dominique Ellner '94, the magazine's editor. "It is a testament to the empowerment of women."

Ellner describes the 28-page new publication as a "zine," which was printed on photocopied 11 by 17 inch paper that was folded in half and stapled together.

A group of 12 women undergraduates contributed to the first issue of the independent publication, according to Ellner.

Ellner said the existing campus media does not address the needs of leftist women. "There aren't enough leftist publications on campus," she said. "Other publications aren't expressing the experiences we have had and panel discussions don't do the trick."

Until now, only one other student publication, Spare Rib, focused directly on women's issues.

Ellner said production of the magazine was paid for by private donations. "We didn't want college funding," she said.

Because of a limited budget, the magazine distributed only to fraternity, sorority and affinity houses. Ellner said she hopes to increase circulation by the end of Winter term.

The inaugural issue contains numerous references to castration including a center spread on the "Top 10 Things to do with a Severed Penis."

A short story about an 8-year-old girl who severs her 12-year-old brother's penis is also included.

The back page of the journal pictures a pair of bloody shears with the message: "We're women. Don't touch us. We'll hurt you. Brought to you by S.N.I.P - She-beasts Not Impressed by Penises."

The limited number of students who read the new magazine gave mixed reviews.

Nathan Saunders '94, a member of the co-ed society Panarchy, said that he was not offended by the new publication.

"I enjoyed it a lot and thought it was well put together," Saunders said. "A lot of men are disturbed by the references to castration, but I think that is meant to be taken figuratively. It is a way for women to empower themselves and cope with the frustration of living in a male-dominated society," he said.

Saunders posed for the journal as a fraternity brother crushing a can against his head. His picture is next to a poem titled "Listen Up Mr. Frat Boy."

Paul Moore '94 found a crumpled copy of magazine outside a fraternity. "This is not of an intellectual level that merits a response," he said. "It should not be dignified by a debate."

Anh-Thu Cunnion '96, who saw Moore's copy, said she didn't pay much attention to it.

"It is unnecessary to be so offensive. More people would be willing to listen to their message if they didn't have such offensive attitudes," she said.

Also included in Inner Bitch is a telephone interview with heavy metal singer Diamanda Galas. When asked about sexual assault on college campuses, Galas advocated the bombing of fraternities. Galas performed a concert at Dartmouth in November.

In addition to personal accounts and interviews, the journal features film and book reviews concerning women's issues. Ellner plans to publish the new magazine once a term.