September 19, 2024 | Latest Issue

'Feast of Song' - a musical delicacy

A Dartmouth classic reconvenes this Thursday at Webster Hall. The Chamber Singers' extravagant 'Feast of Song' opens tomorrow for an extended run, Jan. 13-15 and Jan. 20-22.

After last year's enchanting editon at the Medici court, the ensemble will now tackle the Renaissance world of Henri II, King (or more appropriately authentic, Roi) de France. This is an entertaining artistic experience that everyone should attend at least once in their Dartmouth careers.

Ticket admission ($12 for students) is higher than most concerts but then again this is like no other Hopkins Center event. Not only is dinner included, but you get to eat this haute cuisine amidst the performance and get treated regally by suitably servile peasants.

That alone is enough to bring attendants back every year. Like no other event, the audience is brought into the reality of the music through a combination of period instruments and singing practices, ornate sets, lavish costumes and all the frills of 15th century royalty.

The evening is held together by a diverting "plot" that is both played up for laughs and gives a raison d'etre to the music. But perhaps most importantly, by putting the music of LeJeune and others within the social framework of which it was part, 'Feast of Song' makes some sense of an era of music that seems dated to most people, or worse, irrelevent.

This year will feature David Guerrerio '96 who will test his directing metier and Melinda O'Neal, who will be the musical director.

Unconfirmed reports say O'Neal might be given a role in the production.