October 5, 2024 | Latest Issue

Middle East conference begins today

Former New York Times correspondent David Shipler '64, who won the Pulitzer Prize for his book "Arab and Jew," will speak at the College later this month as part of a series of lectures and discussions on the recent peace agreement between Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization.

The series of events, called "The Search for Peace in the Middle East," will attract noted scholars and experts in government.

Three Dartmouth professors -- Anthropology Professor Dale Eickelman, Asian Studies Professor Shalom Goldman and Government Professor Dirk Vandewalle -- will speak at the opening panel discussion today and will provide a general introduction to current events in the Middle East.

Martin Sherwin, the new director of the Dickey Endowment for International Understanding, which is sponsoring the series, will moderate the first panel discussion.

A former Israeli ambassador to the United States will speak at the second discussion on Oct. 12. Moshe Arad, now the director general of Israel's Ministry of Communication, will speak with James Piscatori, a professor of international politics at University College of Wales.

Shipler will speak about "The Psychology of Peace" on Oct. 19. Shipler was chief of The New York Times Jerusalem bureau in the mid-1980s and his book on Arab-Jewish relations won the Pulitzer Prize in 1987.

On Oct. 25, Lebanese historian Liela Fawaz, a professor at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University will lecture on "The Roots of Conflict" and the efforts to achieve peace.

The fifth discussion, on Nov. 2, will feature Mark Sievers, a State Department specialist on Israeli and Palestinian issues, who will talk about the Clinton administration's views on the peace.

The final discussion, on Nov. 9, will feature Washington correspondents from Ha'aretz, an Israeli newspaper, and As-Afir, a Lebanese newspaper.