September 9, 2024 | Latest Issue

Judicial officer leaves

After serving three years as the College's undergraduate judicial affairs officer, Steven Blum resigned in August to become the University of Pennsylvania's judicial inquiry officer.

The undergraduate judicial affairs officer is a functionary of the College's disciplinary process. Blum worked on cases of miscunduct investigated by the Committee on Standardsand on the College's judiciary council made up of faculty, students and administrators. He also helped students understand the College's judicial process and worked with class deans on conduct violations committed by students.

Maureen Ragan '86, a 1992 honors graduate of the Vermont Law School, will serve in Blum's old position until his successor is chosen.

The College will start its search for a permanent replacement sometime this term after evaluating what the position should entail and if it will remain full-time.

Blum said he received "the warmest feelings at Dartmouth but a much better job was offered to me because we had done well at Dartmouth."

Blum's duties at Penn will be similar to his tasks here, but he will be in charge of a larger student population. Blum said he also hopes to help revise Penn's judicial system.

Senior Associate Dean of Students Dan Nelson said he does not anticipate changes to the judiciary affairs office position and hopes to have a replacement picked by Winter term.

"We're real fortunate to have someone as competent as Maureen. She stepped right in," Nelson said.