August 2, 2024 | Latest Issue

Young alumni win international crew race

Dragseth, Lowell, under Dartmouth coaching, win the gold at the World University Games

Nick Lowell '93 and Dave Dragseth '93 won gold medals at the World University Games in Ontario last month when their crew boat rowed to an upset victory for the United States.

They were both members of an eight man team coached by Scott Armstrong, Dartmouth's varsity heavyweight coach.

Teams from Britain, Canada, France and Germany were all favored to win over the Americans.

The British boat took an early lead in the race. But at the 1000 meter mark Armstrong radioed the coxswain and called for a "Star Spangled Banner" rally cry.

The coxswain told the boat that he wanted the U.S. national anthem played during the medal ceremonies. The American crew answered with a massive pull which carried them to the first place finish.

"Similar tactics are common in college rowing at that point in the race," Armstrong said, "but the British were confounded since they had never seen anything quite like that before."

Also competing at the University Games, Tom Loflin '91 placed fifth in the lightweight doubles race.

Over 133 countries and 6000 athletes attended the University Games, held July 13 through 17.

They are comparable to "an Olympics for students," Armstrong said. All participants in the Games must be within one year of graduation or a full-time degree.

The American rowers were chosen at the "Pre-Elite" camp which was held in June in Indianapolis, which Armstrong also coached.

Thirty-five of the best collegiate rowers were chosen to attend the Pre-Elite camp by Armstrong and the U.S. National team coach.

The purpose of the camp was to identify rowers that should be developed for the U.S. National team, which competes at the World Championships and the Olympics.

Four Dartmouth students were invited to pre-elite camp: Lowell, Dragseth, Loflin, and Ted Murphy '94. Lowell, Dragseth and Loflin were selected for the University Games. Murphy was selected to the elite squad and competed this past Saturday in additional trials, hoping to win a spot on the National Team.