Graduate programs celebrate investitures

The Geisel School of Medicine, Thayer School of Engineering, the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice and Tuck School of Business hosted individual graduation ceremonies, on June 7 and 8. Graduates will receive their diplomas with the undergraduate Class of 2013 at Commencement on Sunday.

Thayer and Tuck held their Investiture ceremonies on June 8 in Spaulding Auditorium and Tuck Circle, respectively. The ceremonies included speeches and distribution of master’s hoods to graduates and awards to students, faculty and staff.

Subra Suresh spoke at Thayer’s Investiture and will sit on the platform on Sunday to receive an honorary degree. He was recently appointed president of Carnegie Mellon University and has served as head of the National Science Foundation for three years.

Thayer Dean Joseph Helble said Suresh is a prominent materials engineer who has “done transformative things” to support entrepreneurship.

Thayer expects to award 100 bachelor’s degrees, 51 master’s of engineering management, six master’s of science and 21 PhD degrees in engineering sciences.

“Commencement is a tiring time for faculty and staff,” Helble said. “We’re busy bringing everything to a close, but we particularly enjoy watching the students we’ve worked with reach their culminating experience and step out to take on the world.”

Zdenek Bakala Tu’89, who has worked in investment banking in Czechoslovakia, spoke at Tuck’s Investiture ceremony.

Elected by classmates, Brud Fogarty Tu ’13, also spoke at Tuck’s Investiture.

“Our ceremony is very wonderful, very personal and very Tuck-like,” assistant dean and MBA program director Sally Jaeger said.

The visiting speaker is typically a Tuck graduate, which reinforces the importance of the Tuck community after graduation.

“We continue in the Dartmouth tradition and keep it very personal,” Jaeger said.

Two hundred and sixty-six Tuck students will receive their master’s of business administration Sunday.

TDI and Geisel celebrated Class Day with presentations of academic and leadership awards and an address from a keynote speaker and student.

“Class Day is an opportunity to celebrate the accomplishments of our graduating students,” TDI acting education director Karen Tombs said.

Anu Kaul, who received his master’s in public health, was selected by his classmates as Class Day student speaker, and he will receive a monetary award created by the Class of 2001.

Elliott Fisher, director of The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, and medicine professor Gil Welch gave keynote speeches.

TDI expects 73 students to graduate, two with PhD degrees, 55 with master’s of public health degrees and 16 with master’s of science degrees.

Prior to Class Day, Geisel presented awards including “coveted secret awards'” at a June 7 reception, graduation coordinator Jessica Sullivan said.

Both events were held in the Life Sciences Courtyard and were followed by a Class Day reception on the lawn of McLaughlin cluster.

Each year, Geisel students are welcomed on Class Day with a bagpipe procession. They hear an alumni address, read the Hippocratic Oath, and listen to the student-nominated, Dean-elected speaker.

This year, students nominated Abraham Verghese, a medicine theory and practice professor at Stanford University’s School of Medicine.

Sullivan said that 35 Geisel students will graduate with PhD degrees, 103 with MD’s, 57 with MPH’s and 16 with masters of science degrees.

Top Stories