Spalding ’76 named dean of Iowa State’s College of Business

David Spalding '76 was named dean of Iowa State's College of Business after interviewing for the position April 4.

Senior vice president and senior advisor to the president David Spalding ’76 will be leaving Dartmouth for Iowa State University to become the dean of the College of Business, according to an Iowa State press release. Spalding will start at Iowa State on August 1.

Spalding was invited to visit Iowa State in early April as one of the three finalists for the position. He interviewed for the position on April 8.

At an open forum on April 8 for candidates being considered for the position, Spalding said that the business school’s focus on its students attracted him to Iowa State, and that he planned to go on a “listening tour” once on the job to hear what students and faculty wanted from him.

“I am deeply, personally committed to the benefits of higher education,” Spalding said at the forum. “I also believe that the strongest higher education institutions are those that have a very student-centered approach… and that’s one of the things that attracts me to Iowa State and to the College of Business.”

Spalding arrived at the College in October 2005 as the vice president for Alumni Relations. In 2010, Spalding was chosen to be former College President Jim Yong Kim’s chief of staff.

Upon Kim’s departure, Spalding was appointed senior vice president and senior advisor to the president for Interim President Carol Folt. The new role was intended to be an “evolution” of his role as chief of staff, and would allow Spalding to be more involved in the strategic planning process, Folt previously said in an interview.

Prior to his roles on Dartmouth’s administration, Spalding received his business administration degree from New York University and served as a senior vice president and a managing director of Lehman Brothers. Starting in 1994, Spalding became the vice chairman of the The Cypress Group LLC based in New York City. As a undergraduate, Spalding was a member of Alpha Delta fraternity and competed on the debate team.

This article has been revised to reflect the following corrections:

Correction: May 9, 2013

**The original version of this article incorrectly stated that Spalding interviewed at Iowa State on April 4, when in fact he interviewed for the position on 8. Spalding’s title was also incorrectly written as advisor to the president, when actually he was the senior advisor to the president.*

Top Stories