Clery Act report reveals drop in College alcohol violations

Correction appended

The number of Dartmouth students referred for disciplinary action due to liquor law violations decreased by about 65 percent in 2008 – from 122 violations in 2007 to 44 violations in 2008 – according to a crime statistics report released today by Safety and Security.

Liquor law arrests increased from 68 in 2007 to 77 in 2008, despite the significant decline in students who participated in the College’s alcohol education program last year, according to the report. The number of arrests in 2008 was about 25 percent lower than the number in 2006.

The report also states that reported burglaries at the College decreased by over 50 percent, from 44 in 2007 to 21 in 2008.

The number of reported forcible sex offenses increased by four, from 19 in 2007 to 23 in 2008. Twenty-two of the reported offenses took place in residential facilities and one offense occurred in a non-campus property. The report defines a non-campus property as those non-residential buildings “owned or controlled by student organizations recognized by the College and those buildings or properties owned or controlled by the College.”

The number of drug law arrests increased from three in 2007 to six in 2008, according to the report.

The annual report, which is mandated by the federal Clery Act, contains comprehensive crime statistics and a fire safety report, as well as campus security policies and procedures.

**The original version of this article incorrectly stated that 78 liquor law arrests were cited in the 2008 report. In fact, the report references 77 liquor law arrests. The article also incorrectly named the College’s disciplinary alcohol education program.*

Top Stories