Bosse ’94 to run for Congress

Grant Bosse '94 will compete in the Republican primary to determine who will challenge Rep. Paul Hodes '72, D--N.H. in the fall.

Grant Bosse ’94 announced that he will enter the Republican primary for the Congressional seat representing New Hampshire’s second district on Monday’s WTSL radio show “Your Turn with Terri Dudley.” The seat is currently held by Rep. Paul Hodes ’72, D–N.H.

Other Republicans competing in the primary include Nashua radio talk show host Jennifer Horn, Hudson state Senator Bob Clegg and Concord lawyer Jim Steiner. Bosse said that all of the candidates running make up a strong field.

“We all have unique experiences,” Bosse, who spent five years working for Sen. John Sununu, R–N.H., said in an interview with The Dartmouth. “My experiences are at the local, state and national level. My experience informs me as a candidate and informs me as a congressman. I am happy to defend free speech, free people and free markets.”

Bosse said his main reasons for running for office are to eliminate budgetary earmarks, allocations of funds for lawmakers’ pet projects, and to “return Congress to its core priorities.”

“The current incumbent ran against earmarks and now he does it,” Bosse said. “Our current congressman has voted to put earmarks on everything. I don’t want reform, I want to abolish them.”

Currently on the campaign trail, Bosse spent the day in the Upper Valley in New London, Lebanon, Littleton and Hanover. During his visit to Dartmouth, Bosse spoke with on student radio station 99 Rock, met with students in the afternoon and spoke to the College Republicans.

“New Hampshire takes its politics seriously,” he said. “If you don’t meet them and look them in the eye, you won’t get their vote.”

Bosse said he believes his platform will appeal to students and the College overall because he said the federal government tries to intervene with individuals too often.

“Congress should be making fewer decisions for students at Dartmouth,” he said.

Recently, Congress has investigated the endowments of major colleges and universities. A federal law has been proposed that would force certain institutions to spend a set percentage of their endowment on financial aid. Upon hearing of Dartmouth’s new financial aid initiative, which would most likely conform to Congress’s regulations, Bosse said he is proud of the College, but not of Congress.

“As a Dartmouth alum I’m thrilled that Dartmouth is using more resources for those who need it,” Bosse said. “As a candidate for Congress, it is not my business. Dartmouth fought for control and independence before. I am not Daniel Webster, but he served as a good model.”

Bosse majored in government and said he has a long-standing interest in politics. His Dartmouth experience — which included involvement in the campus radio station, The Beacon and taking political classes — influenced his decision to run for office, he said.

“My views on politics evolved as a Dartmouth student,” Bosse said. “It was great being able to interact and debate with students from all parts of the political spectrum.”

Bosse’s political career started as a reporter at WGIR where he covered politics locally. He worked in the New Hampshire state house before working for Sununu. He was first responsible for issues relating to taxes, budget and social security, then shifted to the position of staff director of the National Ocean Policy Study and then worked on energy and environmental policy.

If Bosse receives the Republican nomination and wins the general election, he would be the third consecutive Dartmouth graduate to hold the seat. Voters cast their ballots for the primary on Sept. 9 and the general Congressional election on Nov. 4.

Top Stories