Engineering, business and med schools celebrate graduation

Tuck awarded 243 Masters of Business Administration degrees Saturday.

The Thayer School of Engineering, the Tuck School of Business and Dartmouth Medical School held Commencement ceremonies for the students of their graduating classes on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.

The Thayer School of Engineering graduated 124 students at its investiture ceremony Friday morning. Of those who graduated, 66 received Bachelor of Engineering degrees, 37 Master of Engineering Management degrees, 11 Master of Science in Engineering Sciences degrees and 10 Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering Sciences degrees.

Dr. John Holdren, the Teresa and John Heinz Professor of Environmental Policy at Harvard, received Thayer’s Robert Fletcher Award and served as the investiture speaker. The Robert Fletcher Award is given annually to an individual in “recognition of distinguished achievement and service in the highest tradition of the School.” The recipient of the annual award generally delivers the investiture speech.

Holdren’s work has primarily focused on controlling nuclear arms, promoting sustainable development and determining the consequences of and reasons behind global environmental change. Holdren has also served as the Director of the Woods Hole Research Center since 2005. The center’s research is used to promote policies that “stabilize climate and protect the integrity of the global environment.” From 1987 until 1997 he served as chair of the executive committee for Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs, a group that aims to reduce the danger to humanity posed by nuclear weapons and armed conflict. In 1995, he accepted a Nobel Peace Prize on behalf of the group.

The Tuck School of Business graduated 243 students with Master of Business Administration degrees. Harold “Terry” McGraw III, President and CEO of The McGraw-Hill Companies, spoke at the ceremony Saturday.

McGraw-Hill Companies operates in areas such as education, publishing and broadcasting, among others, and produces many publications such as Business Week. McGraw joined the company in 1980 and was elected Chairman in 1999. He transformed the company, consolidating its 15 segments into three main business units. The company has performed strongly under his watch, outperforming the S&P 500 for the last 10 years. McGraw is also a member of the State Department’s Advisory Committee on Transformational Diplomacy and served as a member of President Bush’s Transition Advisory Committee on Trade.

Dartmouth Medical School’s Class Day honored 54 students, each of whom received Medical Doctor degrees. Twenty-four graduates received Masters in Sciences degrees and three graduates received Ph.D.s from the Center for the Evaluative Clinical Sciences. Forty-six students received Master of Public Health degrees from the CECS. Benjamin Carson M.D., currently a Professor of Neurosurgery, Plastic Surgery, Oncology, and Pediatrics at Johns Hopkins Medicine, spoke at the ceremony.

Carson has served as Director of the Division of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins since 1984 and is currently the co-director of the Craniofacial Center at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. His practice covers traumatic brain injuries, brain and spiral cord tumors, neurological and congenital disorders and epilepsy, among other conditions.

Carson has also enjoyed international recognition for his work. He has contributed to over 98 neurosurgical publications, has received 24 honorary degrees and national citations of merit and has authored three best-selling books. Carson came into the limelight when he separated conjoined twins that were joined at the head and shared part of the same brain in 1987.

Top Stories