Hookups Not Healthy

To the Editor:

I found the feature section on hookup culture (Oct. 17) thoroughly depressing. It seems a disproportionate number of Dartmouth students prefer to find a hookup rather than form a serious relationship, and often for the worst reasons.

That time is a factor in a school as hard as Dartmouth nobody can deny, but time can be made. My roommate is a math and computer science double-major, yet he sees his girlfriend daily.

That hooking up can in any way be conceived as more fulfilling than sexual monogamy is unbelievable. From the physical side, increased intimacy and trust gained with time leads to better and better sexual contact over the length of the relationship. Psychologically, though Judith Phillips and Valerie Silverman quoted the Independent Women’s Forum’s report as saying that some women feel “strong, desirable and sexy after a hookup,” I for one would have more self-confidence knowing that a rational, sober person will keep coming back for more than having at one time managed to grab a member of the opposite sex with beer goggles an inch thick at the rims for a one-time encounter.

I can see advantages to hooking up in certain specific contexts where, say, discovery of mutual attraction happens right before one party goes abroad. But as a frequent practice, I don’t believe it’s a healthy lifestyle for anybody.

Top Stories